My First Tri-Axle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... I'm just gonna delete my photos now, and drool over yours... Impressive load!

i'm the last house on the street before the cul-de-sac. Thats where i normally park my cars......... not any more in the way than my cars.

Tack a license plate onto one of them, or spraypaint "toolshed" on the side! ;)

The weather over the weekend was awful we got 2.5" over two days so i didnt get any cutting done. But between yesterday and today i have about 1/3 bucked. I have never seen such a pile of chips!!!

Lots of chips in one place when you do a log load, amazing how deep it gets. You can really notice the how much less a narrow chain makes if you pull out the small gun.

I think this was about 3 cords worth.

My First Tri-Axle

It was $800 delivered from the next county over..... If i was closer it would be $700 but fuel is expensive right. I was told it should be 7-8 cords.

What county did the logs come from? There were some members from the southern Chester County area looking for log loads on here a few months ago.

The company is from York county. They normally feed the Glatfelter pulp mill.

WOW thats quite the stack of wood. Never seen rounds piled like that before. Good luck getting it all split.

Id be worried about someone grabbing my rounds if I had them out at the street like that.

WOW thats quite the stack of wood. Never seen rounds piled like that before. Good luck getting it all split.

Id be worried about someone grabbing my rounds if I had them out at the street like that.
Lol, wouldn't that be something if you got up and there was nothing there but a thank you note! But i doubt that would happen. That reminds me of a joke I heard from a stand up once.... He asked what good does it do when skiers have their name etched into their skis? He said they must do that so the thief can make sure to call and thank you for the sweet new skis! Lol

Good looking load. I have a load at the end of the driveway too, off road, that was delivered in the late fall/early winter that I worked on some before it snowed too much. Cut up some rounds yesterday. i've found cutting up the rounds is quicker than splitting. Am trying not to multi handle the wood, like piling up the rounds, but if you're renting the splitter and trying to keep mess away from house, can see why. I stacked splits on driveway since it wasn't too passable to splitting area out back. Double handled since I transported the rounds to the splitter in front of the garage and then split and stacked them and then will have to move them again. As soon as the ground gets hard I'll stack them right away in their seasoning place, I do like keeping the splitter inside the garage when not in use, so it saves some time setting up, but still double handling. I'm shooting for getting it done before the black flies come out, but for me, I'm not sure that's realistic.

Nice job on the bucking and stacking. Does not look too messy, I bet the neighbors appreciate it.

Nice job on the bucking and stacking. Does not look too messy, I bet the neighbors appreciate it.
Making a bunch of noise over a short period is also good, rather than letting it drag on, like I do. Plus the windows were still closed.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Hah... clicked on this thread thinking mulch (I just ordered two tri-axle loads of mulch for my house), and saw wood! Never heard of anyone delivering log-length by the tri-axle load, around here.

I had a stack like that here last summer. Soaks up water like nobody's business, stacked on end like that. No problem for you, if you're splitting this week. If you ever stack with any intent of letting it sit more than a few days, put the rounds on their side.

Hah... clicked on this thread thinking mulch (I just ordered two tri-axle loads of mulch for my house), and saw wood! Never heard of anyone delivering log-length by the tri-axle load, around here.

I had a stack like that here last summer. Soaks up water like nobody's business, stacked on end like that. No problem for you, if you're splitting this week. If you ever stack with any intent of letting it sit more than a few days, put the rounds on their side.
I agree. My father in law started stacking and I didn't have the heart to correct him. Also, being rounds, they won't dry much regardless of stacking methods.

I agree. My father in law started stacking and I didn't have the heart to correct him. Also, being rounds, they won't dry much regardless of stacking methods.

Besides I bet he thought it might keep them from rolling away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.