My hopes for a wood stove. (Help!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was severely sidetracked the past year but I just sold one of my cars so I have some money to play with.

I am going to check with Bylers for a stove soon.

Since no-one else has said this, I will. If you think you might be heating with wood this winter, or even next, it is time to focus on getting a wood supply together. For this coming winter, you're going to need to find a source of seasoned wood, and that can be tricky. Many of the folks on this forum are working on their 2013-14 wood supply and beyond, if that puts it in perspective. A general rule of thumb is that almost all wood will need a year to season (after it's been cut to length and split), and oak will need two years. Longer than that is better, in most cases. If you're not sure what length of wood to cut, 16" is usually going to fit most stoves. Better to have it short than too long.

Good luck w/the stove, and get going with that wood!

Mercury220 said:
So I was severely sidetracked the past year but I just sold one of my cars so I have some money to play with.

Well if you've been processing wood since you posted last July . . . well July 2010 . . . you should have a nice supply of well seasoned wood for that woodstove purchase!

Mercury220 said:
Should I look for a local retailer for a new stove or would I need to order one online?

Before purchasing any stove, I would strongly recommend finding a good "woodstove shop" within 1-2 hours driving distance of your home and go look at the stoves and talk to the owner of the shop. I have been visiting this site and picked out a stove based on alot of good info from alot of people here (stove has yet to be purchased). This past weekend I had an opportunity to stop at a stove shop and really confirmed what I want to buy. Seeing the many different style stoves in person makes a big difference. I live in a town where this was a two hour drive. I only stopped because it was convenient. I wouldnow make a point of finding a shop.

Mercury220 said:

I'm local to you and have a great place for you to go to in Claymont. The guy there can hook you up brand new and low cost. Bylers is too far away and expensive.

I'll PM you my phone number.

Looks like this week is the week! I am going to be making my purchase. I am currently eyeing up a Pleasant Hearth LWS-130291. It does 2,200 sq ft.

Lowes has it for $999. I am also going to stop over at my local wood stove shop tomorrow.

so I went to my local stove shop and they said I probably shouldn't do a wood stove because the chimney pipes alone would run about $3,000 for my application! They instead said I should do a pellet stove. Your thoughts?

I'm a proponent of the wood stove, only due to the cheaper fuel cost (can't beat free). I do however own (and love ) my pellet stove, and must say the pellet stove is a much more consistent heat. You really can't go wrong either way..

Mercury220 said:
so I went to my local stove shop and they said I probably shouldn't do a wood stove because the chimney pipes alone would run about $3,000 for my application! They instead said I should do a pellet stove. Your thoughts?

What brand of pipe is it? That seems like a lot, but maybe not for 'higher end' pipe like Excel.
Are you installing this yourself or having it done professionally?
If you're a DIYer, check out www.dynamitebuys.com for chimney stuff. Good prices, shipping included. I just ordered Selkirk Metalbest to go straight up in 8", although a single story, for $835. Sean there was very helpful. He just needed a few measurements and emailed me a quote. He said they've looked into software to quote prices, but haven't found any that really works so they sit down and work up quotes the old fashioned way.
They sell Selkirk Supervent at Lowes, also. They may not stock everything you need, but they can order it. I don't know if Menard's is in your area, but they have Supervent, too, and prices are better than Lowes, at least around here.

I would like to do the install my self and would prefer to do a wood stove opposed to pellet.

This is a half assed sketch i did of the side of my house.

ajx91v.jpg

Do you think it is doable? I found a stove to use for a good price, now its just the chimney and install

I'd say completely doable, just shop around for pipe. Probably easier than what I've got to do since you won't have to crawl around in an attic.

The PH looks like a decent stove. It is new to us, first seen last winter here. Do you know the firebox dimensions? Minor quibble points, I'm not fond of the ash lip design it looks like it won't hold ash and I prefer the air control to be low because it stays cooler. That said, we had a favorable review for Pleasant Hearth last season, so if it fits your needs, go for it. If you do please be sure to let us know how you like it throughout the heating season. It would be great to get some good feedback on their large stove. Also, can you get GHP to provide more specifics on the hearth requirements? 1" millboard is not the most helpful. It's a generic term and 1" sounds like very high protection (R=2.2?). A specific R value would be much more meaningful. (Edit: Nevermind, I found it under the clearances table. It's R=.893)

If you want to look at others in this field, compare to a big Drolet, Timberwolf, True North, Englander.

Mercury220 said:

My thought is that this price seems pretty high for just a chimney . . .

Agreed, I would have estimated $1600-1800 for a straight up chimney/connector installation.

Mercury220 said:
They were saying 3k for just the piping!

Visit another stove store. Also, contact a few local sweeps for estimates.

I am having a chimney installer come out soon. I am actually building a hearth pad now out of some left over tiles and cement board I have. I might go purchase the stove today as well!

Stove shops are great to visit when it is cold enough for them to have one or more stoves in operation. All of the shops that we visited were very warm. It was like they were having a competion to see whose store was the warmest. My favorite shop stove was a big Reading coal stoker with a blower. We didn't buy it but it threw so much heat that I couldn't stand in front of it. I had to drive about a hour to see our stove - Pacific Energy Super 27. I shopped online but didn't want to buy a stove without seeing it in person. Fortunately, a local shop was able to order the stove for us. They now have one in their showroom.

It will feel real good when you finally get it going. It is the ordeal reaching that point that builds character. :blank:

I built the hearth 1st,got lucky with the ember protection only Rangeley.That coulda sucked.Hate tearing new things apart.

Hearth is complete, stove is positioned. A contractor friend of mine helped me price out stove pipe and double insulated pipe. I am having a chimney install company come out tomorrow to give me a price just in case.

mcfzt1.jpg

Good thing I had a different installer come out. Turns out that I need double wall BLACK pipe. The clearance isn't 18" from the wall. It is more like 16 and I'm not sure I want to push the stove out

Status
Not open for further replies.