My new project...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
I want a wood cook stove and I got the green light from my wife. Unfortunately there is no good spot upstairs but that is okay, I have the 7100 in the main level and the basement was built with a kitchen in mind. The basement, however, was not built with a woodcook stove in mind. Oh, the things I would have done differently....but that is a different thread.

Couple if wrinkles:

1) I heard that galvanized pipe produces a harmful chemical when heated. I plan to use galvanized on the interior and stainless steel for the exterior. Has anyone else heard this?

2) I would prefer to install double wall pipe all the way up. Is there any benefit to install triple wall on the exterior? It would be nice to save the expense of triple wall if the benefit isn't there. Seams like with 27' foot of pipe the smoke is going to be fairly cool before it reaches the outside.

3) Lastly, as stated above, I have an existing zero clearance stove on the first floor in an existing enclosed chase. I plan to install the new stove pipe for the Kitchen Queen in that chase next to the other pipe about 2 feet away. It really simplifies the install. Are there any concerns with installing two pipes this close together? Is there a "rule of thumb" that I should be aware of for this type of installation? I will very rarely burn both stoves at the same time. I have attached some pictures to show what I am talking about. These are not the best pictures but it was the best I could get with the small area. The first pictures shows the existing pipe and the 2nd pictures show where the new stove pipe will come up through the floor from the basement.

IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0030.jpg

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things need clearing up. There is a difference between stove pipe and double-wall chimney pipe. For this run you will be using chimney pipe from the basement ceiling up and out of the top of the chase. It can be double or triple wall chimney pipe. I'd suggest using double-wall for the smaller diameter. Galvanized is fine for this application while in the chase. Only the exterior of the pipe is galvanized, the interior of the chimney is stainless. The exterior of the chimney pipe does not get hot enough for outgassing to be a concern. I would switch the last length to stainless for outdoor exposure. There should be a firestop at the 1st story ceiling if the chase is 2 story.

A ceiling support box will be installed at the bottom of the chase (assuming the chase is over the basement, correct?). From the stove to the ceiling support box will be stove pipe which can be single or double-wall. If single wall the stove pipe should definitely not be galvanized and it will need 18" clearance from combustibles. Double wall needs 6" clearance.

Thanks begreen. I should describe the basics of my house; single story ranch about 1850 SF with a full basement so 3,700 SF total.

Sorry for improper pipe terminology. Double wall black stove pipe from the stove in the basement (the first floor chase is over the basement) then switch to Class 'A' chimney pipe at the bottom of the chase at the ceiling support box and class run class A double wall the rest of the way.

Still unsure about 2 chimney pipe proximities. If that is a code violation or a potential issue. Maybe it is no bid deal. Just don't know. Do you know a good resource about this?

I don't see a problem with the chimney pipe proximities. They will be more than a foot apart. The minimum clearance to combustibles is what must be carefully honored or exceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.