my new splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildman_fab

Sep 16, 2009
Cape Cod
Here it is! the latest abomination to roll out of my shop attached to the front of the bobcat!
I call it the wood butcher!
I can now split large logs from the heated comfort of the bobcat cab and only have to pickup small pieces and (hopefully) not throw my back out this year again.
In progress...
PA110816.jpg

The welding is finished, unless I break or bend something. (the way I operate its a definite that Ill be back into it)
PA120824.jpg

PA120823.jpg

PA120825.jpg

That is awesome!

sweet...any action shots?

Is the "wood" welded on the foot for ID'ing wood after the splitting or is that to clue the less intelligent that wood goes there?
will be handy for the large stuff, does it flip over for the smaller stuff too?

I have a regular splitter too (27T Northern unit) which can handle the 4in or less diameter logs. I figure the smaller rounds are going to be hard to see/grab with this monster.
I ordered 2 triaxl loads of logs this year, should be ~14cord. I speciflicly asked for larger logs as I feel there is more wood on a load (less air space on the truck) that way. The guy looked at me funny when I said 24in+ would be fine!

After talking to a couple buddys about the 'foot' of the machine I am going with more vertical reinforcement. the inverted V is right at the end of the I beam, and will eventually be where the failure is. I would rather weld a bit more now, than have to try and bend back/fix/replace later.

I have since added a GOT before the WOOD.
The Utube video will made at some point this week as I have a bunch of orders to fill!

Wildman_fab said:
After talking to a couple buddys about the 'foot' of the machine I am going with more vertical reinforcement. the inverted V is right at the end of the I beam, and will eventually be where the failure is.

I'm glad that you feel that way. I was going to post earlier, but really hate raining on a good parade. Its a nice build, and it looks like you have identified the potential weak spot (IMHO).

My push plate is a 1" plate (about 6"x6") and you can see some mild deforming of the steel. That is one area that you are gonna want to over build.

I knew that was the week point when I 'finished' it the first time, but you know when the project is done just enough to try it out what happens... hahaha
The main problem with putting 1in on the foot end is my welder really dosnt get much more penetration on it than the 1/2 in so, if I gusset the bejesus out of the 1/2in plate I dont have to make multiple passes on it. I have a feeling its going to end up looking prety rediclous and box like by the time I am done.

Billster, if I sell enough wood I would just buy one of those suckers, but they are like 40K thats alot of cordage even at $300-400/cord.

...and its broken.
well not really broken, it still technically works and not like its the machines fault that it broke. I split 2-3 large 24in+ logs and it was working great! then I set my eye on the 3YO cherry stump...

PA130826.jpg

I also added the 'log stripper' which I didnt think I would need, but that outer hose is really unprotected without it.

PA130828.jpg

The cylinder appears to be strong enough for the job.

Nice work on the log kicker/stripper. Well....and lets just say we already knew about the other problem. :cheese:

well, lets put it this way, it wasnt my welds that failed and it wasn't the plates fault. It was straight up abuse, I knew better but had to try anyhow! :lol:
I blame this guy and his buddies...

PA150837.jpg

I fixed it last nite, couple minutes with the grinder, plasma cutter, and welder. I had a chunk of the orignal Ibeam left over and decided to use that. I still may do some gusseting but I think as long as I stay away from the stumps it should work just fine...

I tweaked the main beam just a bit, I think it will be fine. Welded all the way around to what was left of the 1/2in plate that I ground and cut straight, 3 passes on the inside angle underneath along with 2 large (1.5in holes) plug welds on there too. Added a couple step plates because it looks like Ill be splitting in the rain today.

PA150836.jpg

PA150832.jpg

PA150831.jpg

SCARE ANY NEIGHBORS???? :coolgrin:

Naw that pretty much all know I am crazy. They all noticed I had a rediculous ammont of wood droped into the back yard. They probly has some clue that something was going on with the chainsaw going every evening.

PA190838.jpg

PA190843.jpg

PA190842.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.