My New Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
This is what I have been working on the last couple of days.

image.jpg

This is mostly standing dead locust(black and honey), some hackberry, red bud, mulberry, and black cherry mixed in too.
The far right was a green walnut I took down for a neighbor. Far left is cottonwood. I still have two massive cottonwoods to take down, but I don't really feel like messing with them right now.

My next stack is going to be made at my in-laws. Mostly black walnut there.

Good job - nice to see wood with no snow.

Bob

Looks great, nice work.....

I can say from experience, if you don't need the wood desperately, leave the cottonwood.

The two cotton wood are both dead leaners that we want cleaned up. We have trails through our woods that the kids go play on and just want them gone. I thought about just pulling them down and leaving them, but figured I would cut them and split it large. Then we could use it in the fire pit or the wood stove if needed.

The two cotton wood are both dead leaners that we want cleaned up. We have trails through our woods that the kids go play on and just want them gone. I thought about just pulling them down and leaving them, but figured I would cut them and split it large. Then we could use it in the fire pit or the wood stove if needed.

If it's there and you need to cut it up anyways... I accidentally grabbed a smaller cottonwood tree that I thought was white ash a year ago and am burning it now. I left the splits huge and they are like paper, very light - Burns like it too, and leave no coals.

Last edited:
I say there is nothing wrong with having it in your stack if you have the room to store it, it has it's time and place to work out well for you like burning it in October, November, April and even May.....yes, last 2 years I was burning in May to take the chill off....

I say there is nothing wrong with having it in your stack if you have the room to store it, it has it's time and place to work out well for you like burning it in October, November, April and even May.....yes, last 2 years I was burning in May to take the chill off....
Good for burning coals down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.