My new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
Wednesday my new stove was installed. We bought a PE Summit and I'm glad we did it. This stove is really a good heater . I had 3 break in fires ( pics will follow ) and she's been heating 24/7 since.! Easy to control so far tho I've only been burning half loads. I researched several posts before the install and had some very good ideas on how to use the air controls and they've proved bang on . So here's some pics and do your research on whatever stove you buy and you'll enjoy some fine heat and a warm winter.

My new stove My new stove My new stove

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so here's a slight problem I didn't anticipate . After getting the fire started this evening half the wood went out and the flue and stove temps went high like 560 stove and 850-950 flue so I shut the air down to half and the flue went to 1000 or so and the half of the stove was completely out , with the flue getting so hot I shut the air off to cool it down.i also turned my fan on as it circulates heat and cools the flue and stove top a little now do I let it ride or try to restart?

So there's a moral to this story and I'm gonna try it on my next fire, start small splits add big once going with door open. Once the wood catches your flue temps and stove top temps are going to rise to the occasion

Grear stove! My air control rearly goes anywhere left of the "L", it feels like it would melt in place if I did.

Reactions: Osagebndr
How does a top-down fire work in these tube stoves? Seems like it would get the necessary heat in the top of the box for a quick secondary light, yet burn the load in a more controlled manner without getting too much wood gassing at the start.

Put the big splits on bottom, fill top in with mediums and smalls, get it good and charred, crank the air down. Let it be after that. You don't want nuclear fires going on after the air is cut down, the secondaries will take over. The bottom will burn just fine after the secondaries burn through the top splits. You have the case of new stove can't stop fiddlingitis. We all been there.

Started a fire this morning going great started shutting the air down at 350-400. Completely shut down at 475 some secondaries and noticed that not all the wood had really gotten coaled up good so I let it ride.2 hrs into the burn the stove came alive and secondaries have been rolling for the last hour stove top came up from 300* to 650* in that time . Nice learning curve;hm

You get a gold star for self control.
It really is hard to not fiddle with the thing, and I can admit to it from time to time.
There may actually be times when you have a load of hard stuff, that isn't quite there as far as dryness, and you may have to let it have some more air for a bit longer.
Once you get to know the stove better, and your wood supply better for a particular burning season, you will know when to adjust, and when to leave it alone.
Everything is new, and it is hard not to adjust this, and reposition that. After a while, it will all be second nature, and the luster does slightly wear off about 1/2 way into the season.
The when spring comes, I know I am glad to be done for the season and let the Summit go into slumber till next fall. The it feels good all over again to light that first fire, and enjoy the warmth. Then it gets eh again, and over and over. But through it all, it really feels great walking into the house when it is icicles hanging from the nads cold outside, and feeling that all over warm house feeling the minute you walk in the door.
You definitely want to experiment, and get to know the stove, so it is a fine line between honing your skills, and messing with it just because. Your doing just fine, it is good to be watchful and curious while you gain confidence and knowledge. Just remember, with a good dry load, she will go where she wants to be, the only difference is how long it takes it to get there.

Started a fire this morning going great started shutting the air down at 350-400. Completely shut down at 475 some secondaries and noticed that not all the wood had really gotten coaled up good so I let it ride.2 hrs into the burn the stove came alive and secondaries have been rolling for the last hour stove top came up from 300* to 650* in that time . Nice learning curve;hm
Yep, you gotta know your loads as well as your stove. As the wood dries, the load can take off and that has to be factored in if you wanna load and leave. But it sounds like you've got a handle on the situation ... :)

It kills me to wait on secondaries , I just want to crack the air open just a little to touch them off.its really a kind of quite insanity;). Thanks for the votes of confidence I appreciate it and the advice

Try letting it get a little higher before cutting the air to low.

You Summit owners are all braggarts. ;););lol Get over yourselves. ha ha

I got some great secondaries and the stove is climbing to 575-600. I gotta let it get hotter than 425-450 but it's a pretty cool effect. What was too hot?

As you can see it is a willing pony if you give is some reins.

Our T6 has been up to 700F many times. Mostly due to me getting to the stove a few minutes too late. You get used to it. Being distracted that is. :rolleyes:

Set and carry a timer with you.

Reactions: EmmyQT
I routinely cruise at 650-700 stove top if i am home with no fan on. Prefer a little lower if I am gone. Went to bed early last night due to the pain meds and 12 hrs later the temp as drop down to -14C overnight from +1 when i went to sleep. House sitting at 19. Fan now on high and stove top at 500 with a load of Birch in.

Status
Not open for further replies.