My new to me Vermont Defiant Parlor Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaHuntr

May 22, 2022
Iowa
Bummer, none of the photos came out on my computer.

Some standard questions/comments

Is it a one or two piece back?. A two piece back has a seam running horizontaly left to right on the fireback. If its one piece and its not warped then it was rarely used. One pieces were recalled and converted to two piece backs. The parts are available but its major reconstruction. Part will cost more than the stove.

There is a hidden smoke chamber behind the fireback and the back of the stove. It will build up fine ash. This will reduce the efficiency of the stove and more importantly cause the fireback to warp as the ash acts as insulation. Its a PITA to clean out via a set of removable plates below the damper. You need to clean that area out, an ash vac is required.

Its highly likely that it needs resealing. It is not that hard but it eats up a day or so. The secondary air channel rebuild is tricky. Its critical to the stoves efficiency. Without it, its smoke dragon, with it, its got a rudimentary secondary burn system that really throws out the heat and cuts wood use.

Reactions: IowaHuntr
Moving to the Classics/VC forum. @IowaHuntr can you post the pictures again?

Pics

403554DD-B6C5-46CD-93A2-C73A4925EAB2.jpeg C898C4EB-4E5E-481C-B868-A46EC124F824.jpeg 7E2F919C-083D-43CE-90DC-A2290F411173.jpeg 9A0FDF90-FF80-4683-879D-5543B3F14806.jpeg AB144E32-2016-4B29-9308-4BA3AB71705C.jpeg

Reactions: begreen

Is it a one or two piece back?. A two piece back has a seam running horizontaly left to right on the fireback. If its one piece and its not warped then it was rarely used. One pieces were recalled and converted to two piece backs. The parts are available but its major reconstruction. Part will cost more than the stove.

There is a hidden smoke chamber behind the fireback and the back of the stove. It will build up fine ash. This will reduce the efficiency of the stove and more importantly cause the fireback to warp as the ash acts as insulation. Its a PITA to clean out via a set of removable plates below the damper. You need to clean that area out, an ash vac is required.

Its highly likely that it needs resealing. It is not that hard but it eats up a day or so. The secondary air channel rebuild is tricky. Its critical to the stoves efficiency. Without it, its smoke dragon, with it, its got a rudimentary secondary burn system that really throws out the heat and cuts wood use.
It is a 2 piece back and it has a cast iron thermostat cover so according to my research it is a Defiant II. Built in late 1980, shortly after they discontinued the one piece backs

Great, time for a reseal job and fresh coat of paint.

woodmans parts plus is a great place to get parts but if they don't have it look around. it definitely needs a reseal, and new door gaskets. the front doors look like they do because they leak air in and cause it to get overheated in that spot.

don't put cement around the oval cooktop on the top of the stove. but if it doesn't have a way to hold down that plate two screws and a piece of metal to hold it down. early ones don't have any way to hold down the cooktop and I had an incident that blew off that top despite having two steamers on top.

2 questions on the rebuild…. 1) it says to break the tie rods during disassembly. Is it not possible to remove them without breaking or do they HAVE to be replaced? 2) What is this screen it refers to in the rebuild? Perhaps it will become apparent when I tear it down. It refers to a kit which I’m not sure if anyone still sells a kit so I would have to buy any needed parts individually.

3F1DA16D-2E4C-41B4-AFE5-9814467F63A9.jpeg A23C01D2-7870-4354-8F74-C345DF939DE0.jpeg 1E2962FF-6305-486A-AD46-850F388F396C.jpeg

Not sure about the kit but I reused my tie rods

i've reused my tie rods also i've rebuilt it twice and both times i reused them. the top nuts on the stove top are made of brass so it should come off so unless the rods inside are in bad shape reuse them.

Defiant 2 doesn't actually have the screen to seal the fireback it's a tongue-in-groove type fit. You'll see.