MY OLD OFF ROAD WOOD HAULER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

88gmc1

Oct 12, 2007
Drive it to the wood lot, skid the logs out and haul them home ...works great, can't put enough wood in the trailer to overload it, very heavy duty. what are you guys usin'???

Attachments

• Pict0055.jpg
    Pict0055.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 864
Very cool, what is it? I got rid of my F-250 3/4ton PSD and bought a Chevy Colorado and had a 4000lb capacity trailer made for hauling firewood. Haven't tried it out yet, will soon.

What is that? I use my 99 GMC, or my 95 Craftsman tractor w/wagon for back in the woods wood.

It is a 1986 Iltis built by Bombardier in Quebec Canada, original Iltis Built in Germany, powered by a 1700cc VW Rabit engine 24 Volt. Ex-Canadian Military, trailer is a 1992 M-101 built by D.E.W. in Ontario also ex-CDN Military. front wheel drive with 4X4 lock and rear Dif. lock. engine is screamin' at 100KMH cruises at around 85 O.K. noisy and rough ride but fun.

Looks like a smoke dragon ;)

Ha ! I knew there had to be some 'VW Thing' in there somewhere, you can see it.
Very nice, very cool.

I use my 27hp Craftsman tractor w/ a cart to pull wood outta the woods.

NoFossil - I'm 'Green' with envy !
Those are some fine woods tools.
I would'nt call the Ford an oldie, it's not an oldie unless it's older that you ! :cheese:

Wildsourdough said:
I would'nt call the Ford an oldie, it's not an oldie unless it's older that you ! :cheese:

That'd be pretty old......

For them as for me, not everything works as well as it used to, but we all can get the job done. You know your tractor is getting old when you go to the dealer to ask a question and they look at each other and say 'Maybe Dave knows about them" and Dave shows up with his walker.

I've nursed along my brother's 9N, which truly qualifies as old.

stonehouse said:
That's a sweet ride.
This is my offroad Jeep.

An M-101 trailer painted to match your jeep would would be a great off road package, I have had a few Jeeps as well, from an old postal jeep with a V-6 in it to a 1978 CJ7 / 196??? CJ5 and two 1952 M-38 CDN military jeeps. this one was the better of the two.

Attachments

• 52 M-38.jpg
    52 M-38.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 600
Awesome Jeep.
I love the old ones.
Yours looks great.
A trailer would be ok, When mine is home, it's usually broken, so not too good for gathering wood.
It was down most of the summer for a front end swap because the built up stock 30 busted the ring gear.
Got a used Currie HP 9 inch from a friend, now it has a busted axle as the steering was not quite right.
We beat on it pretty hard.

Attachments

• Jeep7.jpg.jpg
    Jeep7.jpg.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 593
nofossil said:
Wildsourdough said:

That'd be pretty old......

For them as for me, not everything works as well as it used to, but we all can get the job done. You know your tractor is getting old when you go to the dealer to ask a question and they look at each other and say 'Maybe Dave knows about them" and Dave shows up with his walker.

I've nursed along my brother's 9N, which truly qualifies as old.

Sold my Farmall Super C with a front bucket 2 years ago.
It scared the hell out of me one day. It was a tricycle setup and I had a two row plow on it- caught a very large rock and the whole thing started to turtle. Going slow enough that it didn't go over and I dropped it back down upright but that was the last day I plowed with it. Still used it for another year but was not really farming so away it went. Four wheels on a tractor is now the proper way to go.

[quote author="stonehouse" date="1194849554"]Awesome Jeep.
I love the old ones.
Yours looks great.
A trailer would be ok, When mine is home, it's usually broken, so not too good for gathering wood.
It was down most of the summer for a front end swap because the built up stock 30 busted the ring gear.
Got a used Currie HP 9 inch from a friend, now it has a busted axle as the steering was not quite right.
We beat on it pretty hard.[/quote

with an off roader like yours you must be a fan of Xtreme 4X4 on Power Block Spike TV
the host of the show Ian Johnson used to live next door to us, he used to teach shop here at the high school. He did one show of Monster Garage with Jesse James then got the chance to host Xtreme. Lots of great 4X4 on that show. (lotsa money too) I would not have the nerve to do what you do to my old stock rigs, I think they would just break, roll over and die. So would I

My old wood wagon (and snow plow). Its a jeep forward control. This is not a picture of mine, but its the same thing (mine has a plow on it). Interesting old thing. Geared like a tractor.

Attachments

• fc150.jpg
    fc150.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 312
Status
Not open for further replies.