My problem with stores keeping their pellets outside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think pro pellet is a "medium" pellet producer. When I say medium they produce under 100,000 tons a year. That seems like allot but at 22 tons per load its only 4546 trailer loads and that's if they make 100,000 tons. Last year I purchased around 300 trailer loads from my suppliers so if they have 15 dealers like me every thing is shipped and we sell pellets all year so no large inventory.

They sure make a few more than I will need this year.

BrotherBart said:
They sure make a few more than I will need this year.

You never know the Ice Age might be back this year :)

If packaged correctly there is no problem with outdoor storage.

My dealer also has a bagging facility and you'll see literally hundreds of tons of pellets stored outside... and I store mine outside but under a porch. Never have had a problem.

LIpelletpig said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't most pellets shipped via train freight then tractor trailer. Who's to say they weren't exposed during the ride from the train to the warehouse?? I wish we lived in a perfect world!

Most go via truck unless in bulk. Few dealers have railroad sidings.....

Regarding Pro-pellet...I travel past their plant quite often. I'll look to see if they store outside... I know Southern Indiana Hardwoods does...

Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Eric

Gio said:
Uhh? Are you awake ? If so, can you tell me exactly where I knocked Eric ! Eric may well be the nicest guy on the forum but he needs to be enlightened to the rest of the world outside of his domain too.
Not everyone in every city/town/state has access to pellets that are guaranteed to have been covered from factory to consumer`s door . It would be nice but I don`t live in a perfect world and I doubt Eric does either . Welcome to the real world.

This whole thread has gotten out of hand IMHO. Bashing Eric for doing things right is ridiculous. Maybe you should slide down to the Ash Can, which I'm banned from, and talk with some real personalities who will enlighten you as to how wrong you are............. no matter the subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pallets I've seen stored under a roof have been primarily at Walmart. The problem is they were Pennington Nature's Heat with pellets that ran an average of 2" long and all the way up to almost 3 inches. My supermarket has pellets stored under a deep overhang which is well protected form the elements.

When clean Burn (Manke Lumber Tacoma WA) packages a ton of pellets. They wrap the entire pallet in shrink wrap. Then they place a bag over that. When shipped on Manke trucks, the pellets are tarped. One supplier I know of Brookdale lumber in Parkland stores their pellets in a open air building.

A&A stoves in Parkland buys pelltes all summer long. He must have a 1000+ tons when heating season comes around. All stored outside. This guy charges almost $300.00 per ton. And when we had a pellet shortage a few years back, he jacked the price even higher and limited purchases to 10 bags at a time.

Most of the places I have been to around don't have the room to store 24 to 32 tons of pellets inside. Let along the volume A&A sells.

RKS130 said:
The pallets I've seen stored under a roof have been primarily at Walmart. The problem is they were Pennington Nature's Heat with pellets that ran an average of 2" long and all the way up to almost 3 inches. My supermarket has pellets stored under a deep overhang which is well protected form the elements.

My problem is - what does a supermarket, convenience store or pharmacy know about selling wood pellets. Stored inside or out. Shop local Buy Local support the stoveshops that carry the best brands.

BTW - all our pellets are stored inside.

pelletdude said:
RKS130 said:

My problem is - what does a supermarket, convenience store or pharmacy know about selling wood pellets. Stored inside or out. Shop local Buy Local support the stoveshops that carry the best brands.

BTW - all our pellets are stored inside.

They don`t need to know ! The consumer is the one who needs to know. The sellers don`t claim to be an authority on the subject of every item they sell. They simply sell for a profit like anyone else does.
Check the threads here and tell me how many folks buy from a local stove shop who have space large enough to store their pellets inside versus the countless other pellet sellers who store theirs outside. Price plays a much bigger part in pellet sales.
All the stove shops around here store their pellets outside if they are lucky enough to have that space available.
I`ll bet most pellets are stored outside or exposed to the elements at one time or another prior to delivery to a home...
I wouldn`t assume all stove shops carry the best brands either.

I've had a few bags from the end of my porch have some water damage from wind-driven rain... the pellets look like sawdust... that's the bad news.

The good news is they still burned pretty good in my stove so I dodged a bullet....I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.