My project for the next couple days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Just cleaning up and stabilizing it for a gas stove to go in

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_082319.jpg
    IMG_20200518_082319.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20200518_082327.jpg
    IMG_20200518_082327.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 183
How old is the house?

Part way on the back wall

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_092533.jpg
    IMG_20200518_092533.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: charger4406
I thought you were going to say “finally removing the BK from my house”.
btw i love my gas fireplace! Good luck with the project.

I thought you were going to say “finally removing the BK from my house”.
btw i love my gas fireplace! Good luck with the project.
This isn't my house

That must be interesting working on fireplaces/chimneys at are probably at least a couple hundred years old.

That must be harder work on your back, having to knell, sit or hunch to lay blocks, stand up to mix mortar or get supplies. I suppose you are doing this by yourself. Having a second hand makes a huge difference, but often times the job cost does not permit that luxury.

That must be harder work on your back, having to knell, sit or hunch to lay blocks, stand up to mix mortar or get supplies. I suppose you are doing this by yourself. Having a second hand makes a huge difference, but often times the job cost does not permit that luxury.
There is no kneeling or working on your back on this one. It is 5' tall. And I have a tender. It is cheaper for the customer for me to have one. But regardless this isn't cheap.

Looks like a wood lintel. Is there wood up in the chimney too?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I am amazed at how many chimneys were made with wood and mud, even in North America. With some of our free time we have been learning about Tudor and Victorian life, which involved a lot of house fires and CO poisoning.

Reactions: bholler
I am amazed at how many chimneys were made with wood and mud, even in North America. With some of our free time we have been learning about Tudor and Victorian life, which involved a lot of house fires and CO poisoning.
Yes, many burned down after pyrolysis took its toll.

Yeah a couple wood poles across they used to hang meat from to smoke. And beams go into the chimney but not through.

That house looks like it was built prior to 1800, not too many up here that are pre revolutionary war but I run into them from time to time, that one may be.

That house looks like it was built prior to 1800, not too many up here that are pre revolutionary war but I run into them from time to time, that one may be.
Yes it probably was pre 1800. We have quite a few around like it. I am sure that was the original house one room downstairs and one low room upstairs. When the larger house was finished next to it that turned into the summer kitchen. That is a cooking fireplace never really used for heat.

Reactions: begreen
Yes it probably was pre 1800. We have quite a few around like it. I am sure that was the original house one room downstairs and one low room upstairs. When the larger house was finished next to it that turned into the summer kitchen. That is a cooking fireplace never really used for heat.
It’s cool knowing that what might look quaint and decorative to people now, was actually very practical for people on the past.

Reactions: weatherguy
It’s cool knowing that what might look quaint and decorative to people now, was actually very practical for people on the past.
Well practical for the time because they had no option. There is a reason they pretty much all got abandoned as soon as cook stoves were available.

Well practical for the time because they had no option. There is a reason they pretty much all got abandoned as soon as cook stoves were available.
I remember reading that the wood consumption in colonial days was obscenely high. Open fireplaces for heat and no real insulation. Must have been a really tough life.

I remember reading that the wood consumption in colonial days was obscenely high. Open fireplaces for heat and no real insulation. Must have been a really tough life.
Yeah the good old days were not that good in many ways.

What is the rest of the house like?

What is the rest of the house like?
That part is a very basic log house. The main house is larger but still all log. The summer kitchen is currently completely gutted. It needed a new floor downstairs and a few bottom logs replaced. From outside it is hard to tell it is all covered with aluminum siding. It is a pretty typical old farmhouse for our area.

I will get some more pics tomorrow