My Quadra-Fire Castile Build Thread - Finished!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great looking install. You will love the stove.....how did you vent outside, up the wall? any concerns about being so close to the opening windows?

Your Castille is a red-head! Gorgeous! (I have two of my own...) I can tell you the Barefoots are going to burn great...burning some right now. Best of luck and beautiful install.

Beautiful job! I know what you mean about the mahogany finish. As soon as my wife saw our insert in the store, it was all over! No sense arguing. I got the plain black Sante Fe and she got the mahogany Castile. Oh well, it's cheaper than a divorce and took less time to pay off than she'd be serving for murder.

Jay, AVIVIII, Mike, PJ, peirhead, Augustine and tjnamtiw - thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it! It was a lot of work but we are very happy with it. My 7 year old son already knows to adjust the thermostat up when he gets up in the morning and then he camps out in front of the stove in his bean bag chair soaking up the heat before school.

I decided to start with the Barefoots first. So far, so good. It hasn't been that cold yet but it's nice to be able to take the chill off. I have half a tank of oil for the HW heater and I'm hoping it lasts until spring. They are talking 30's and snow soon. Bring it on!

There were a couple of specific questions I'll address later.

AVIVIII said:
I hope you have the ledger board of that deck super-lagged to your sill, thats a lot of weight right there!!

Awesome install, congrats, welcome and enjoy the heat!!!

That seems to be the $64,000 question. So far so good. I commented in a different thread that I thought the joist hangers would be OK but I have no idea how well the porch is lag bolted to the house.

I should be OK. I don’t think 150 lb/sq ft is too crazy and I just checked the joists which are 16 inch oc and it looks like, assuming the entire load is on the hanger end (it isn’t), there is about 660 lbs per hanger which is within the Simpson DF/SP load table allowables. I wish I had some pictures from before the decking was laid down to see exactly what hangers were used.

I really wish I had taken some pictures of that when they were building the house. I may just pull up a couple of deck boards to inspect the construction.

peirhead said:
Great looking install. You will love the stove.....how did you vent outside, up the wall? any concerns about being so close to the opening windows?

I went out, then up and then across. If you look at the first picture I posted, the vent comes out just before the corner of the house (between the corner and the shutter) and then up the wall to the porch ceiling and then across the ceiling and vents just past the gutter, so it vents about 9 feet from the window. I'll post vent pictures.

I know it's a long horizontal run (of 4 inch tube) but if I have any problems I can use the same straight pipe and go up through the porch ceiling and roof and vent above the second floor roof line. I wanted to go this way because I thought it would look better than having the vent going all the way to the roof.

DonD said:
AVIVIII said:
I hope you have the ledger board of that deck super-lagged to your sill, thats a lot of weight right there!!

Awesome install, congrats, welcome and enjoy the heat!!!

That seems to be the $64,000 question. So far so good. I commented in a different thread that I thought the joist hangers would be OK but I have no idea how well the porch is lag bolted to the house.

I should be OK. I don’t think 150 lb/sq ft is too crazy and I just checked the joists which are 16 inch oc and it looks like, assuming the entire load is on the hanger end (it isn’t), there is about 660 lbs per hanger which is within the Simpson DF/SP load table allowables. I wish I had some pictures from before the decking was laid down to see exactly what hangers were used.

I really wish I had taken some pictures of that when they were building the house. I may just pull up a couple of deck boards to inspect the construction.

With 3 1/2 tons on it, if they hadn't done a good job, your pellets would be sitting on the dirt by now!!! :coolgrin:

Xena said:
Love the custom built hearth pad. Congrats on the new stove and enjoy.
Thanks! I built it big enough to fit a Mt. Vernon or M-55 down the road if I want to upgrade.

Don, I had to come over and look at your thread on the installation after you commeted on mine earlier. It looks stunning. The stove has so much detail and the hearth pad looks great as well. We rent our house so I had to build a platform that was removable and it went on a smaller space then yours. The corner pad looks very sharp and really complements the setting. Great job!

Very good job. Beautiful tile cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.