My review on wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishunt1

Dec 27, 2013
washington state
Thanks to this great site I was able to read and research many different ideas on a Wood insert. After reading everything I thought I would share my experience with others who may be thinking of making this investment.

To start with my house was built in 1977 and is 1600 square feet. I have a zero clearance fire place in the middle of the house. At first I thought there was no way to put a wood insert into my zero clearance fireplace. But thanks to this great site I found out there was hope for me after all ( Granted it is a little con-traversal with some of you). I checked with my insurance company and they would not let me do the install my self. I checked with my two local stove shops and got bids. My options were to go with the lopi answer or a Napoleon 1101. Well to be honest I liked the lopi better as it had the fan in the front, but as I tried to order this and work with them on getting this installed they treated me horribly! There customer service was terrible! I then decided to switch company's and go with the Napoleon 1101 ( I am glad I did as they have been outstanding to work with). I got it installed with the block off plate and an insulated SS chimney liner just like everyone said to do.

Feb 1 was my first day of burning. After a few days of break in fires it was working like a champ. The stove was very easy to use and dial in ( I had been doing days of reading on this site so I was a little ahead of the curve!) The first few days the hardest part was figuring out where to place a box fan in my house to move as much air around as I could.

Well today I received my first power bill and it was $103 and the average temp for the moth was 24 degrees ( I have a smart thermostat in the house and the average temp in my house for the month was 71.3) In jan my power bill was $298 with the average temp for that month at 27 ( my average inside house temp that month was 64.7). Thats a savings of almost $200 a month with the house staying almost 6.5 degrees warmer! I could not be happier (well I could be but ripping out the zero clearance and re framing walls to install a free standing stove was just not in the budget!) With the cost of the Napoleon 1101 and installation I am into it for $2750. I know I was very long winded in my write up, I was just hoping that my experience might help someone else!

Reactions: Beer Belly
So long as the installation was done properly, is safe, and you are happy, that's awesome!

As you noted, there are many ZC fireplaces where this is a no-go. You must have a brand that allowed for this installation, which is good to hear as well.

Nothing like having a new toy to play with!

Status
Not open for further replies.