MY RYOBI LOG SPLITTER IS LEAKING HYDRO FLUID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Looks like the main seal around the piston. Summer time it was a drop or 2. now it is 3 inch puddle for @ an hour worth of splitting. I looked at Ryobi's parts and you have to buy an entire upper unit for 299.00. So it is obvious to me to send it out for repair.
However being somewhat mechanically inclined, should I even attempt to dismantal this and fix it myself ?
Will it be hard to change/ replace that seal with normal tools?
Will it be hard to find that seal?
TIA for replies/advice

You can fix that your self, a good machine shop will know were to get the seal. That said I'd find a hydraulic repair shop, they will warranty the work they do.

forgot to say if you do it your self, you will need a ring compressor and a cold freezer makes putting things back together allot easier.

march 2006, prob @ least 150 hours.
Now, I am thinking, there is a reason why Ryobi says 10 inch round max.

Tis just a simple fact of life that eventually any hydraulic system will develop leaks. Many variables can enter into this as a cause, but a leaky seal in a cylinder is a fairly routine fix. What I would do, if I were you, is to give the machine a good look over and make sure you don't have any nicks in the rod that passes thru the leaking seal. Also make sure you don't have any serious mis-alignment causing the rod to cock under pressure--seals don't like lateral movement. Also make sure that you try to keep excessive dirt, mud etc. from getting on the rod when sitting. In other words, always park the thing with the cylinder fully retracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.