my scrounging days I think are over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Man oh man that Yellow Birch smells so nice when it's burning. Save that to burn a log now and then when it's cool and damp as you sit outside sipping a hot cider.

I was away for a bit. To answer some questions all my scrounged wood is in my town or gets dropped in my driveway. The fiance hates the wood because it takes up space outside and covers the flower beds. Also unfortunately we only have an open fireplace. The insert keeps getting put on the back burner because other issues with the house kept popping up. Like I need a new roof :(. So while I can get the main room up to a nice toasty mid 70's the rest of house is pretty cold. It hurts to burn the wood in the open fireplace too because it sure does burn quick in there. I don't have nearly as much wood as in the pictures everyone posted. When I finally get the insert I will definitely be expanding my stacks.

The insert
Have you considered a woodstove ? -- Woodstock Soapstone might make both of you happy.

1593115062050.png

Have you considered a woodstove ? -- Woodstock Soapstone might make both of you happy.

View attachment 261278

I looked into stoves and I know it would heat the area better but we like the look of the insert and the one we like will fit well. I just need to get a hold of $4k. Currently we needed a fridge ($2k), saving for the roof ($13k) and somehow I got duped into lightly remodeling a bathroom ($2,500). I won't even get into all the other stuff I had to pay for the past 3 years.

Reactions: Lakeside
I looked into stoves and I know it would heat the area better but we like the look of the insert and the one we like will fit well. I just need to get a hold of $4k. Currently we needed a fridge ($2k), saving for the roof ($13k) and somehow I got duped into lightly remodeling a bathroom ($2,500). I won't even get into all the other stuff I had to pay for the past 3 years.
I feel your pain...