My stacks are in standing water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I had a big time extended rain storm today, it washed out one end of the town road I use to get out of my development. I have a low spot in my front yard that normally drains quickly except in the spring when the ground is frozen. I now have a shallow pond with five stacks of wood in it. I expect it will be gone tomorrow and back to drying.

:cool:Firewood stacked in a pond does not dry very well !!

Good thing it didn't float away! !!!

Reactions: mcdougy
Good thing it didn't float away!

Years ago there was a flood and I recall one person lost a lot of wood stacked to close to the river. I think they had 5 or more cord float away. Talk about making person want to cry. I wonder if any of it was recovered by anyone. Another firewood lesson -- Stack above the high water line.

I bet there ate plenty of bugs out your way now. We had two straight weeks of near constant fog that finally lifted this week, and the mosquitoes are out of control. This year started out great for bugs, what a shame.

During a huge storm in October 2017, there was a gentleman about 15 minutes from me who had a lot of his CSS firewood wash across the highway to a vacant lot. There was a lot of major flooding with roads washed out, bridges damaged, etc., and while the cleanup was going on, he constantly had to chase scavengers away. People were loading their vehicles up with his firewood thinking it was just left there 'for free." That was the October 2017 storm @peakbagger, I'm sure you remember that one.

Yup I remember that one. The trade off on my lot is the sunniest place for my wood is on the edge of the low spot which is normally not an issue except for one to two weeks during spring run off when the ground is frozen and the snow is still on the ground. it only at best impacts the lowest row of wood and the pallets. My other spots for wood storage are more high and dry but have far less sun and breeze (north side in softwoods or south side in open lawn). So its a decision of 50 weeks a year of better drying on the edge of the low spot or marginal drying 50 weeks a year but no wet two weeks.

The low spot is caused by an elevated driveway causing a dam. It had to be elevated to avoid a VW sized boulder sticking out of the ground. There was a culvert to drain this area but inevitably in the spring it would be frozen solid as the snowbank from the driveway gets dumped in the low spot and plugs the culvert. So when I needed it most in the spring it didn't work. Being a shallow culvert, the frost would heave it up every year so I had a speed bump that got bigger every year in my pavement. So I took it out. Its been 20 years and this is the first non spring time it flooded. I am thinking of having the driveway repaved and now that I have backhoe I may just install a french drain underneath but given the amount of rain that fell, i expect it would have still flooded.

I am considering building a new place and will incorporate what I learned on this house over 30 years on the next one.

It had to be elevated to avoid a VW sized boulder sticking out of the ground.

Yeah, you have to love our boulders up here. When I built my firewood shed, I had a boulder coming up right where I wanted to put the shed. I dug down about six feet and there was no end in sight so I just built the shed around it. It protrudes up through the 3/4 stone in hte shed about a foot so it doesn't take up too much room.

We got 8" of rain on Saturday night from storms. My wood racks are sloshy around them With rain water and my splitter was surrounded by water but I’m good. The roads though, they aren’t so good lol.

B46702F6-4647-40C0-BD31-D08F5774F7C7.jpeg