My stove install, with pics - Buck 91 replacing a zero clearance fire place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy29

Dec 16, 2010
Central Ohio
It took me over a month, but it is finally done!

Here are pics of the install process - http://picasaweb.google.com/110559698958684321632/Fireplace#

I have to give props to Dakotas Dad, who's pics of his install helped me immensely and convinced me I could do the project.

Had my first fire last night...kept it small to bake the paint. Draft was fantastic right off the bat. It cruised all night at 350* stove top temp/1300* cat temp and although it took a little while to heat the stove up, once it got there it brought the living room from 60* to 75* in no time. I'm certain once I figure out proper fan placement it will easily warm the entire house.

Once the wallet recovers a little I plan to get a couple ecofans, mostly for the geek factor, but also to help circulate air especially in the even of a power outage.

I'm really excited and wanted to thank you all for your help. Every question I had was addressed with a search of this site and it's great to know there is such a community out there.

Jeremy

Jeremy, That is a great looking install...nice craftmanship!

That is really nice. Congratulations.

Wow, that is awesome. The slate really does go with the brick very nicely.

The metal studs have given me an idea about a reflective backer for my fireplace.

I'm not so handy with stuff like this but I think I could do it...
What size are the studs, what kind and size of screws, what is the best way to cut them?
Thanks!!

Nice post. Thanks for the pictures and for sharing. Jim

Quality work.
Doing it "Right" takes some time. Well thought out project!
True craftsmanship!
Thanks for the pics.

Beautiful and inspiring! the cinder block - durock - metal studs, etc. floor buildup is a great idea!

congratulations!

Looks very good. I really like the slate tile, and have always liked tile done subway style.

You ended up a bit deeper with your stove, I bet when you get some ecofans blowing out of there the thing will really heat. I have thought about getting a couple myself, purely for the geek factor.

Congratulations and enjoy. Thanks for the photos. They will be of help to others who go through this process.

Thank you all for the kind words!

@szmaine - The metal studs are standard 2"x4"s...which dimensionally are 1.5"x3.5". I used #8, .5" long pan head screws to put them together and cut them with a pair of tin snips. I've never worked with metal studs before but followed this guide and think it came out just fine. I used Rock On screws to hold the Durock to the studs...I was really impressed with them.

@Dakotas Dad - It did end up a bit further back then I initially wanted due to some clearance issues with the chimney and a couple of wood 2x4s near the attic. It worked out, though, because the original hearth extends exactly 16" in front of the stove door, which is the requirement when on legs and I didn't have to fab up an extension. It also lets me set up the old fireplace screen and keep the dogs from throwing their toys on the stove. Hurrah for happy accidents! I just ordered an ecofan...will let you know what I think.

Jeremy

Looks nice! Noticed on pic #39 that your power cord appears to be touching the bottom of the stove. Is that a concern with the 91?

Status
Not open for further replies.