My T5 and lack of air.........................................................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lantland

Oct 7, 2008
Garrison, NY
Ok so its been 6 days since i burned my first piece of wood in my stove (first time ever).
I checked every piece of advice on this forum as well as others and even manged a nice secondary burn the other night.
But last night i had problems getting air into the fire. I usually keep the air intake to full until shes going nice then reduce slowly until shes going to a nice pace. For some reason I can't seem to get any air to the stove. i cleaned out the ash this morning but still no luck. I have a brand new chimney so I'm sure that can't be the problem. Tonight i opened the ash chute slightly to see what the affects would be, it was a roaring fire and when closed back down the flames went down to a wimper.

What should I do?

P.S. I think there should be a page for newbies explaining how to get a good fire going, how much wood to use, and other techniques to keep a fire going over night as well getting a secondary burn etc.

thanks.

Maybe you just have a bad batch of wood. Leave the door open just an inch while the fire is starting. Watch it and when the flames are going good I mean not just the kindling close it. I do not like the ash pan method to easy to forget its open. There are many reasons you could be having trouble. Did you put to much wood in and there is no air spaces for the fire to get going. You can pack it tight when the stove is hot with coals but that will stifle the fire when starting. Get a good fir going with 2 splits NS and when you have coals pull then forward with a rake and then load her up. The air should be open until everything is charred then close down to heat needed level.
There is a video on how to start fires on this site. They are using a PE stove so should be perfect for you. Just search for fire starting video. This might work http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

Would you say it is a sudden change, and the stove is different than it was for your prior burns? Do you have a fresh air intake? And are you getting any backpuffing?

Stupid question but I thought I should ask if you knocked out the air intake? It is located on the bottom of the stove and is a 4" round that must be knocked out for air and/or a.o.k.

Check the wood as it's heating up. Is it sizzling and bubbling from the ends? If so, that particular wood is not dry.

the wood is definitely got a good sizzle and bubble on the edges. Is this going to turn into a nightmare if all the wood is wet? I spend many hours staking 2 cords of wood AND the time pursading my wife would be a easy way to heat the house for cheap. You can only imagine her face when she got a look at the mountain of wood in the drive on Sunday morning.
If the wood is wet what is the best way to use this lumber? I keep the door open to get a good draft t get it lit. I sthis the best method to use for wet wood?

thanks

If the wood is wet, go out and re-split all of it so that it is less than 2" in cross section anywhere. I just started burning oak from a massive limb I had cut down in June. Knowing that oak is such a bear to dry, I split all of it quite fine and it is bone dry already. We did have a hot summer and I did stack it in direct southern exposure, so it was fried over 80F for more than 2 months and a bit cooler for a similar period.

Splitting is just a bit of work, but you need to get it done immediately so that you get the added benefit of additional seasoning during the next few months. It sucks to have to split in the snow and at that point the only change in the moisture content will be in the stove.

My suggestion is to save this wood for next year and order some real dry wood for this year. Then you will have two year old wood from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.