My Toyota woodhauler build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like that would be best for him, but I think he's talking Lincoln locker for this truck.

Indeed. Running a spool on the road is not as scary as it sounds-I know a couple of guys who run spools/welded rearends on their daily drivers :eek: Not something I would do, but proof that it can be done. A buddy of mine has his welded up and you really don't notice it unless you're turning into or out of his driveway (you hear some squealing, that's about it)-now, that said, you WILL blow through set of rear tires in about 20K miles, but since this is not a DD I think it's worth the tradeoff. I actually have a spare 4.10 rearend I got for free that I'm planning on using. Worst case scenario if I really hated it I could just swap the old open diff back in. In the words of one of my 'Yota buddies, "Nothin says cool like a spooooool..." >>

Are you sure you want to lock the rear? That could make for some weird on pavement handling. Can you weld the front easily with the IFS? At least you could unlock the hubs for pavement driving.

The problem with locking the front period on an IFS truck is strength-CV axles will only take so much punishment. The 8" Yota rearend is almost bulletproof as long as you're not asking it to turn anything larger than 38s-the front is a different story. Plus turning (even on dirt/mud) can be a real PITA with a locked front end. As for the EZ-Locker I've seen them, but would rather have the predictability of a spool. Can't wait to get it in there!

Something like that would be best for him, but I think he's talking Lincoln locker for this truck.
I'm on my fourth Toyota Tacoma 4X4 they'll outlast anything comparable,my 2003 is as strong as the day I got it and I've never had one problem.Just today I hauled almost 3000# in it and do it frequently.I've only ever ran Amsoil oil in it,change it once a year. Love them Toyotas,yours is a classic it will serve you well. easter cuttin 003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.