My vg5790 is heating is out of the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dawns

Dec 12, 2017
Oct
Need help please my vg5790 burns to hot even on the number one setting. . I have the damper all they way to the left so should be off . I know on other stoves there is a way to get into the controls to change the settings from the factory. Is there a way to do this on my vogelzang ? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

I have a 5770 which is just a smaller stove with the same board. Unfortunately there is no way to change settings on the board to my knowledge.

If the damper is like mine, it just controls how much air the stove gets. Too little air and it will soot up more easily and be less efficient. I have to adjust mine depending on what brand pellets I am burning.

Do you hear noticeable changes when you change heat range on the board? The room fan should noticeably change speed with each heat range, you should hear it easily. Also if you can see or hear the auger motor, it should run longer for each spurt on higher heat ranges and dump more pellets.

When you shut down the stove, the room fan should run on high until the stove cools. Does it do this?

I seem to remember a thread where someone had one of these and on low it was blistering the paint it was so hot. Does yours do that? It should never do that, theirs was probably a bad board.

Where are you located, what's the weather like, and some details of the house you are running it in? The 5790 is a bigger stove than mine and I can see how in mild conditions in a small well insulated house, it might be too warm on low heat range.

I have a 5770 which is just a smaller stove with the same board. Unfortunately there is no way to change settings on the board to my knowledge.

If the damper is like mine, it just controls how much air the stove gets. Too little air and it will soot up more easily and be less efficient. I have to adjust mine depending on what brand pellets I am burning.

Do you hear noticeable changes when you change heat range on the board? The room fan should noticeably change speed with each heat range, you should hear it easily. Also if you can see or hear the auger motor, it should run longer for each spurt on higher heat ranges and dump more pellets.

When you shut down the stove, the room fan should run on high until the stove cools. Does it do this?

I seem to remember a thread where someone had one of these and on low it was blistering the paint it was so hot. Does yours do that? It should never do that, theirs was probably a bad board.

Where are you located, what's the weather like, and some details of the house you are running it in? The 5790 is a bigger stove than mine and I can see how in mild conditions in a small well insulated house, it might be too warm on low heat range.
Yes the blowers and everything works as it should. A friend of mine passed away and wanted me to have his stove . My house is only 1200 square feet . I think the stove is to big for my house . Thanks for the input

Sorry to hear about your friend. My house is approximately the same size. When it's not too cold, I have to cycle it on and off when on low, or it's a bit much. But every now and then, when we get down to like 20 below zero and strong winds, sometimes I wish I had a little more stove. If your climate gets like this then you will appreciate it.

The only way to make it run less on 1 would be to do some electrical tinkering which would be all experimental. I've thought about it with mine, but never did it, it was just easier to turn it off once in awhile during those shoulder seasons.

Reactions: dawns
you really should set your damper for a good flame and leave it.
this is out of the manual
D. MODE (M/T) BUTTON
• The Mode of the stove can be switched between manual and controlled with a Thermostat. Separate LEDs to the left of the two digit display indicate the mode of operation – Manual or T-Stat. The stove has to be in normal operation to be switched from Manual to T-Stat mode.
• Manual mode operates according to the 5 set levels of feed on the bar graph from heat range “1” to heat range “5”.
• T-Stat mode works as follows:
• The stove has a built in Thermostat built into the controls of the appliance. The temperature sensor for the T-Stat is located behind the display board.
• Once the stove has gone into run mode the stove can be switched into T-Stat mode.
• The Up and Down Level / Temp Arrow buttons are used to change the desired set-point temperature. Once the desired temperature is reached the two digit display will flash for four seconds and reset to the actual room temperature.
• Once the stove reaches within 3°F of the desired temperature set point, it returns to the heat range that the stove was set on before it was switched to T-Stat mode (if the stove was running on heat range “5” when switched to T-stat mode when it gets within 3°F of the set point it will return to heat range “5”).
• Once the stove reaches the desired set-point, the stove will drop to heat range “1”.
• When room temperature drops below desired set-point the stove will ramp back up until it reaches the desired temperature.

Last edited:
this is out of the manual
D. MODE (M/T) BUTTON • The Mode of the stove can be switched between manual and controlled with a Thermostat. Separate LEDs to the left of the two digit display indicate the mode of operation – Manual or T-Stat. The stove has to be in normal operation to be switched from Manual to T-Stat mode. • Manual mode operates according to the 5 set levels of feed on the bar graph from heat range “1” to heat range “5”. • T-Stat mode works as follows: • The stove has a built in Thermostat into the controls of the appliance. The temperature sensor for the T-Stat is located behind the display board. • Once the stove has gone into run mode the stove can be switch into T-Stat mode. • The Up and Down Level / Temp Arrow buttons are used to change the desired set-point temperature. Once the desired temperature is reached the two digit display will fl ash for four seconds and reset to the actual room temperature. • Once the stove reaches within 3°F of the desired temperature set point, it returns to the heat range that the stove was set on before it was switched to T-Stat mode (if the stove was running on heat range “5” when switched to T-stat mode when it gets within 3°F of the set point it will return to heat range “5”). • Once the stove reaches the desired set-point, the stove will drop to heat range “1”. • When room temperature drops below desired set-point the stove will ramp back up until it reaches the desired temperature.

Good info to have if the OP doesn't have a manual. When I run hotter pellets for the dead of winter, the t-stat mode is nice.

But if heat range 1 is too hot for the conditions (which is the case right now for the OP) then the thermostat mode doesn't help. Only normal solution is to turn it off every now and then, or open a window.

But if heat range 1 is too hot for the conditions (which is the case right now for the OP) then the thermostat mode doesn't help. Only normal solution is to turn it off every now and then, or open a window.

Yes Exactly. maybe crack a window, back in the wood stove years we had windows open a lot.

Last edited:
Yes Exactly. maybe crack a window, back in the wood stove years we had windows open a lot.
We open the door to the garage and we can run it a little longer . May have to look into selling this one and get a smaller one . Thanks

Sorry to hear about your friend. My house is approximately the same size. When it's not too cold, I have to cycle it on and off when on low, or it's a bit much. But every now and then, when we get down to like 20 below zero and strong winds, sometimes I wish I had a little more stove. If your climate gets like this then you will appreciate it.

The only way to make it run less on 1 would be to do some electrical tinkering which would be all experimental. I've thought about it with mine, but never did it, it was just easier to turn it off once in awhile during those shoulder seasons.
I’m in north Ohio it’s been a long time sense we have seen 20 below. It’s been around 20 the last few days

What brand pellets are you burning? You might just want to get a pellet that doesn’t burn as hot.

I've been burning Kirtlands since I started, they're what burns so cool I have to adjust the damper for every heat range. I tried some ProPellets last year, much cleaner and hotter and I can leave the damper alone, they're what I'll be breaking into this month. That's all the input I've got with pellet brands.

I've been burning Kirtlands since I started, they're what burns so cool I have to adjust the damper for every heat range. I tried some ProPellets last year, much cleaner and hotter and I can leave the damper alone, they're what I'll be breaking into this month. That's all the input I've got with pellet brands.
I have been burning pro pellets and tried cherry pits . Still to hot