My visit to the stove playground!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
I went to a stove shop called the Stove Place yesterday. As I walked in the Jotuls were front and center. They also carried VC, PE, Avalon, Harman and Morso. The showroom had a wide variety of free standing stoves and inserts, as well as four burning stoves right in the middle of the floor, attached to one flue. This was a cool site to see, though the stoves were not burning hot due to the 36 °F afternoon we had yesterday. I didn't get to see the entire shop because Johnny, my 3 year old wanted to go finish our errands and go home. I'm new to this stove world and have only visited a couple of stove shops, but this one takes the cake. The staff there was not pushy or arrogant in any way. If I were to buy a new stove I would certainly consider this place! In fact, I would love to have a Jotul F 100 in my living room. Such a beautiful little machine would be perfect for our space. I was also impressed by the look of the Montpellier insert in black enamel, with a cast iron surround to match. I'm not a big fan of the surrounds but this one had a unique look with an ornate shelf on the top piece of the surround. Thank you for reading about my window shopping experience! Burn on!

http://www.thestoveplace.com/index.html

Sounds cool! None of the stove shops I have seen in these parts ever have any wood stoves running, just gas logs. It certainly would go a long way for the atmosphere to actually have a wood fire. Not to mention they can explain how they work to you that way! There's some place I have read about online, that is in VT or somewhere up there I think, that rebuilds and refurbishes older stoves and sells them. Sounds like they have lots too. That would be a cool place to visit too I think!

Stove shops in my area don't have woodstoves burning, mostly coal stoves. the wife has given me the green light and i have been visiting the local shops. i am impressed with the hitzer 30-95. i know this is a woodburning site, but i have to tell ya that hitzer sure impressed me! :cheese:

I did that a few weeks ago. All kinds of "stuff" to buy for wood burning.
I went there to look at the fire wood they sell. (Birch & spruce out back piled up)
Even they don't have what would with stand critics on this site, seasoned, but not seasoned enough to burn well.
The spruce may have been OK but the birch would have been "smolder" wood.

Redhawk said:
Stove shops in my area don't have woodstoves burning, mostly coal stoves. the wife has given me the green light and i have been visiting the local shops. i am impressed with the hitzer 30-95. i know this is a woodburning site, but i have to tell ya that hitzer sure impressed me! :cheese:

I burn a combination stove. From time to time I throw in a couple shovel fulls. The coal heat is a little different than the wood. It's really nice! I happen to get all my wood for free. And the price of coal is not as good up here. If I was in PA and had to buy my fuel my choice would be coal. By the way, this site is not only for wood burners, you know! Good luck with the stove search! Does hitzer have any combination stoves?

Now this just seems odd . . . I think every woodstove shop I have ever been to here in Maine has at least one woodstove going in the winter . . . to me it would make sense . . . a) you're able to heat your place on the cheap and b) the folks buying a woodstove would like to see a stove in action and it seems like this would be one way to attract the customer.

Yeah, we keep a pellet stove and a wood burning stove running almost every day in our showroom. Folks want to see stuff in action. Also having a wood stove going is a great way to show how a non cat reburns the gasses. I'll just throw 2 dried splits on top of the coals, open up the air for a couple minutes and shut the air down. Makes for a nice show.

Status
Not open for further replies.