My wife says I am weird......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife thinks I'm crazy. She just rolls her eyes and walks away now whenever somebody even mentions firewood. She knows its gonna be along conversation.
Same here. She has gotten used to it. She still busts my stones but like was mentioned, when it hits 50* she is askin' why the stove isn't going. I can't wait to burn this year, it will be 2 year seasoned wood and should be a better burning season than all the prior ones ( since I found this forum and now I know how to do it right ;) )

My wife has never given me any grief about it. It's just part of our life. Since it's our ONLY source of heat, it's not optional, not open for discussion. She has said if we ever get a better house she'd prefer to have central heat and air, but she wants a wood stove, too.

She does like the smell of fresh cut wood on me when I come in from a day of CSS-ing. :)

I'm the "wood guy" in my little neighbor hood, I get asked the obvious questions all the time like "you going to burn all that this year?" I use to try to explain the importance of being ahead and wood drying times, but I would often just get the deer in the headlights stare, so now when I'm asked I just dumb it down and say yes to the person that's asking.

Reactions: Seanm
My wife is on board after last winter when we bought cords and it was expensive and didn't burn very well. She gets the idea of needing dry firewood, and she knows I enjoy the work. The neighbors, family, and guests? Not so much.

We had a party a few weeks back where a lot of people were around the firepit enjoying smores. I could tell everyone thought I was insane when they saw all the wood I have stacked in that area. It's not even that much, maybe 3.5 cords. They all thought I was some kind of doomsday prepper. I had to explain to a lot of people and by the end of the night, I didn't even bother. Just drank more and changed the subject. I might start stacking more wood where people can't see it.

I sometimes ask them a question when they question me......"is there such a thing as you having too much money?" To me it's money in the bank. Plus the longer it sits there (seasons) the more it's worth. ;-) It's very hard to find properly seasoned wood. Seems most suppliers think splitting and leaving it in a pile for 8 months is "seasoned". I haven't really looked, but I'd imagine finding 4+ year old properly stacked wood would be difficult.

I sometimes ask them a question when they question me......"is there such a thing as you having too much money?" To me it's money in the bank. Plus the longer it sits there (seasons) the more it's worth. ;-) It's very hard to find properly seasoned wood. Seems most suppliers think splitting and leaving it in a pile for 8 months is "seasoned". I haven't really looked, but I'd imagine finding 4+ year old properly stacked wood would be difficult.
I agree. And yes, finding 4+ year old (or even 2+ year old) properly stacked wood is impossible where I am.

Ditto......I think all of you married my wife!! She was concerned I had too much wood. Two nights ago in front of the first fire of the year she was quite happy.

Reactions: Seanm
We've burned for 3 seasons now, and my wife has come around. She likes the toasty living room, cheap heating costs, and happy husband. I never hear about how the wood pile dominates the side yard anymore. I only got the stink eye once last year. I went to bed early and didn't reload. 48 degree house in the morning!

my wife has come around. She likes the toasty living room, cheap heating costs, and happy husband.
Yeah its a hobby that helps you stay happy and fit, reduces your heating bills and makes you spent at the end of a day tending to processing. Im sure she isnt lost on the fact that its better than her husband sitting in a pub.

My wife doesn't think I'm crazy, she thinks of me as more of a Neanderthal. Every now and then, I go outside and start making loud noises or start fires, just so she doesn't forget.

Yeah its a hobby that helps you stay happy and fit, reduces your heating bills and makes you spent at the end of a day tending to processing. Im sure she isnt lost on the fact that its better than her husband sitting in a pub.
I prefer to drink with my wood pile anyway.

My wife says she likes to play a driving when we're out. She calls it "wood pile or women". She has to guess which turned my head as I drive by!!

We have gotten to the point she has asked me hey honey did you see that guys wood pile? Nowhere close to yours... Hahaha! I'm always scoping, looking for piles, downed trees, etc. She is working until 6 tonight, and being we have a frost warning here she asked me if we could watch some tv and have a fire tonight. And with tomorrow being our 19th wedding anniversary, I was shocked and very happy at the same time. Love that woman!

Reactions: beatlefan and Seanm
And here y'all probably thought you were the only weird/crazy/wood nut out here. No wonder I feel so comfortable amongst y'all! ;lol

Heh. I mentioned this thread to my wife. She said all that wood is security!

Reactions: Dix and Osagebndr
And here y'all probably thought you were the only weird/crazy/wood nut out here. No wonder I feel so comfortable amongst y'all! ;lol
Yeah its nice to come somewhere where you know people are going to get you. I dont talk to friends about firewood anymore because its my thing and they all think Im that guy :rolleyes:

I prefer to drink with my wood pile anyway.

What would you think if I sang out of tune
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key
Oh I get by with a little help from my wood
Mm I get high with a little help from my wood
Mm gonna try with a little help from my wood

Ill raise a glass to that BB!

Well, my wife and kids have gotten used to my obsession with the stove and the woodpile. They like the heat. But now that I've found this forum, they think I'm nuts again. Sitting in my Lazy-Boy scanning Hearth.com and my daughter (home for the weekend from college) just walked by, looked at my laptop and said "dad, you need help."

As my profile says:

I was a wealthy successful businessman until I came across hearth.com. By accident one night while surfing the web I came across this site. I lurked for a few hours and then joined in the posting. Over time I became more and more addicted to reading posts and interacting with the forum members. The next thing you know I bought a wood stove. Then another. Then another. Then a pellet stove. Then came chainsaws, a log splitter and chimney liners and log carriers and wood racks and I became obsessed with gathering firewood. Before long I was spending more and more time on hearth.com and putting up firewood. My business started to suffer as well as my home life. My wife complained that all I wanted to do was hang out with "those wood guys". The kids started staying away from me because I was posting and reading and stopped bathing. They said I was "stinky". In short order my accountant informed me that all of my employees had quit, the bank account was empty and I would have to file for bankruptcy. It didn't matter to me all I wanted to know was what the progress of the cat vs. non-cat discussions were leading to. Was or was not EBT a answer for long burns? Were PE stoves really worth extra money over an Englander?

One afternoon I heard the door slam and a car drive off. On the table in the hall was a note from a lawyer telling me my wife had filed for divorce and was taking the kids with her. I cried for about ten minutes and then went to see if anybody had scored any more free wood off of craigslist. Nobody had in a few days and that REALLY made me sad.

So the house has been foreclosed, I drink pretty much around the clock (or at least I will until the pawn shop stops taking my stuff) and hang out on hearth.com 20 hours a day. I get a couple of hours sleep along the way resting my head on the keyboard.

Now Craig has made me a moderator and life is looking up! I have stoves and hearth.com. Who needs all of that other crap in life.

As my profile says:

I was a wealthy successful businessman until I came across hearth.com. By accident one night while surfing the web I came across this site. I lurked for a few hours and then joined in the posting. Over time I became more and more addicted to reading posts and interacting with the forum members. The next thing you know I bought a wood stove. Then another. Then another. Then a pellet stove. Then came chainsaws, a log splitter and chimney liners and log carriers and wood racks and I became obsessed with gathering firewood. Before long I was spending more and more time on hearth.com and putting up firewood. My business started to suffer as well as my home life. My wife complained that all I wanted to do was hang out with "those wood guys". The kids started staying away from me because I was posting and reading and stopped bathing. They said I was "stinky". In short order my accountant informed me that all of my employees had quit, the bank account was empty and I would have to file for bankruptcy. It didn't matter to me all I wanted to know was what the progress of the cat vs. non-cat discussions were leading to. Was or was not EBT a answer for long burns? Were PE stoves really worth extra money over an Englander?

One afternoon I heard the door slam and a car drive off. On the table in the hall was a note from a lawyer telling me my wife had filed for divorce and was taking the kids with her. I cried for about ten minutes and then went to see if anybody had scored any more free wood off of craigslist. Nobody had in a few days and that REALLY made me sad.

So the house has been foreclosed, I drink pretty much around the clock (or at least I will until the pawn shop stops taking my stuff) and hang out on hearth.com 20 hours a day. I get a couple of hours sleep along the way resting my head on the keyboard.

Now Craig has made me a moderator and life is looking up! I have stoves and hearth.com. Who needs all of that other crap in life.

Wow! So are the PE stoves are the PE stoves really worth the extra money?

Nah. Wrote that ten years ago in the middle of the PE frenzy on the site when I was the first to buy a 30-NC. Never seen evidence since of them being worth the difference.

My wife thinks I am weird but after 24 years of knowing me and 20 years of marriage...she can say what she wants.
She does not like the large woodpile but the other day she she woke up to a 70 degree house...she is ok with my new obsession.
Just wait until I get some trees cut down around the house...will be great...!!!

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.