My wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
My wood sheds are almost full. This has taken longer then i have thought. I think i will have them full with this last wood score. When they are all full they will be holding in the 12 cord ish range. Plus I have some racks that bring the grand total to 14 ish cords. I plan on having this all packed up by march first. I see many pics on the site but none say how much you have or intend to have. BTW all of this was all on the scrounge. Post some pics of what you have.
20170217_161027.jpg
20170217_161108.jpg
20170217_161137.jpg

Does your wood take longer than usual to dry packed the way it is? I was thinking of having 'sheds' built, but everything I read here says wood in the open (sun and wind) dries better

Wickets, it's funny you say that because I was thinking the same. I know the general consensus seems to be that wood sheds are the best way to go but when I see them packed to the brim obviously inhibiting air flow and sunlight then I would have to think otherwise. Regardless, a packed wood shed looks pretty cool.

I think you will see most (that have any space constraints at all) stack to dry outside and move to a woodshed to keep the elements off for the season.

Currently, I'm stacking 2 yrs worth (working on 3) outside in the open uncovered. We will see how it goes.

Not to rain on the parade but you're going to need better ventilation and more space in between those stacks if that wood is green. Otherwise, in several years, you will have a wall of wood with one end somewhat dry and the other end and inside rotten and full of mold.

If you plan on stacking wood in your shed like that, leave it to season, single stacked, in the sun for about a year and then put it in your sheds to sit for another one or two years.

Thank you all for replying and your comments. As for raining on my parade, dont worry about it its sunny and 60 where i am. For those of you who were thinking of a wood shed do it, just dont build it air tight. My wood sits on rails, has removable sides and back and it dose get sun with a southern exposure. If the wood shed is set up right your wood will dry in it and you will avoid having to move your wood again, that will not rot and or get moldy. The picks below are of white oak and hickory. Both were cut split and stacked in the shed exactly 1 year ago. I split a log of both today to reply to post #5 saying that the wood will take long to dry. Both mesured 20% and thats in the middle row. I am not chasing tarps, worrying about if it rains. Just stack it, when the weather turns pull the back panels and let her dry.. The 14 cords i will have is a 3 year supply. The wood i just mesured that is 20% is for next year, i bet its at least 15% by fall.
20170220_135129.jpg
20170220_150007.jpg
20170220_150313.jpg
20170220_150248.jpg

Reactions: Blazing
Here is the southern exposure. View attachment 195001
I am truly surprised and impressed. I'm glad that set up works so well for you. Even with the removable backs, I'm amazed you get hard wood dry that fast but the results speak for themselves.

I have family in north NJ and their weather is very similar to ours, just typically ten degrees cooler. Since green wood stacked deep in the shed would certainly not work for me, I figured it definitely wouldn't work for an even cooler climate. I have to keep mine single stacked, southerly exposed to get mine that dry in a year. Then it goes in the shed for another year or two.

Do you live in a particularly sunny and windy spot? How many hours of direct sun per day are those sheds getting?

Awesome sheds, you got your crap together

Central va.... to be honest I really haven't though to much about the amount of sun. I am guessing right now with the lenth of day like 7.5 hours.. and as the days get longer so will the amount of exposure. As far as the wind. I get it here from all directions. I dont think we get more wind then anyone else in our area, havent really thought about that eather. What I did though is a little test. I did build a small and temporary wood shed for the wood i use for my smoker. What i found is if you put a roof over it, keep it off the dround and elevated, let the air get to it, and dont let the rain and snow touch it at all. I could smoke with it in 10 months time.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Central va.... to be honest I really haven't though to much about the amount of sun. I am guessing right now with the lenth of day like 7.5 hours.. and as the days get longer so will the amount of exposure. As far as the wind. I get it here from all directions. I dont think we get more wind then anyone else in our area, havent really thought about that eather. What I did though is a little test. I did build a small and temporary wood shed for the wood i use for my smoker. What i found is if you put a roof over it, keep it off the dround and elevated, let the air get to it, and dont let the rain and snow touch it at all. I could smoke with it in 10 months time.
It just goes to show you how even small climate differences affect drying. Our major challenge is extreme summer humidity. Clearly more humid than those you must experience. My hygrometer measures over 95% most of the summer. If I put green wood in a shed, it would stay green for a long time, despite the heat.

It sounds like you have a wood shed/solar kiln situation. I'm jealous