My Woodstove journey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fibels

Mar 18, 2016
Boston,Ma.
My woodstove journey started when I was 11 years old.My father said to me your job is to keep the wood stove going and split wood.Our wood came from a tough old tree cutter named Brofy.Brofy kepty us in wood an I enjoyed splitting it. I can't remember the name of our first stove but it burned coal and wood which lasted for years until the coal ate up the innards.I was fond of that stove and the many years of heat it gave off.From there we got the old Scandia stove not bad but couldn't beat the old wood/coal stove.It was durable and lasted many years.During that time my father passed and we purchased the Performer Z.I saw this stove at work in a customers home where I was installing carpet.It was cooking so I convinced my mother about dumping the Sandia and we got the Z.I never could get it to perform like the one I saw.A cousin was moving and had a Hearthstone 2.He said he wasn't taking it and gave it to me.The Z went to another relatives garage and the 2 went in it's place.The 2 was a great wood/coal burner Ma passed and I took over the property.I purchased the Woodstock Classic to go into the basement.The 2 was on the first floor.After years of service the coal burning in the 2 ate up the grates so I sold it and moved the Classic to the first floor and put a Mansfield in the basement.I sold the Classic and put in a Summit which got replace by a Liberty which got replaced by A blaze king king.The king also got sold and I moved the Mansfield up stairs and a Hearthstone 1 went into the basement.So now at 69 years old I finally got it right.

I purchased the Woodstock Classic to go into the basement.The 2 was on the first floor.After years of service the coal burning in the 2 ate up the grates so I sold it and moved the Classic to the first floor and put a Mansfield in the basement.I sold the Classic and put in a Summit which got replace by a Liberty which got replaced by A blaze king king.The king also got sold and I moved the Mansfield up stairs and a Hearthstone 1 went into the basement.So now at 69 years old I finally got it right.
What were the reasons you got rid of all those stoves, what didn't you like about 'em? Or do you just like to try different stoves every so often?

What were the reasons you got rid of all those stoves, what didn't you like about 'em? Or do you just like to try different stoves every so often?
The LOPI and Summit couldn't give me enough heat for my drafty house.The Blaze king wasn't installed to specs and smoked everytime I opened the door.The Z I didn't operate correctly and could never get the coal to burn correctly.The Scandia was never able to give enough heat and I didn't know enough about other stoves to get rid of it.When I saw a better stove I got rid of it.The Classic and Fireview not enough heat.Did I leave anything out?Finally the Mansfield and the 1 gave me what I needed.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Have you been able to make any headway on weatherizing?
I talk to a gentleman who gave me a good quote on closed cell foam which I'll go with after the season.My set up as is works fine and keeps us toasty.Though I can't wait to see what it will be like next winter after I have foam inserted in the chilliest parts of the house.I think it'll be a sweat lodge but I won't have to build as large fires as I do now.Also my long list of stoves came and went and stayed over a time of 58 years.

Last edited:
Do you run both stoves all the time all winter long?

I talk to a gentleman who gave me a good quote on closed cell foam which I'll go with after the season.
Check into the pros and cons of foam before you take the plunge. I don't know much about it but IIRC, I've seen some mention here of potential mold issues.
My set up as is works fine and keeps us toasty.....after I have foam inserted in the chilliest parts of the house.I think it'll be a sweat lodge but I won't have to build as large fires as I do now
Using less wood is always a good thing. Since I started coming here and got "dry-wood religion," I've been burning less wood and getting more heat. :cool:
Also my long list of stoves came and went and stay over a time of 58 years.
First stove was a 1984 Englander plate-steel stove, N-S cigar burner. The only bit of clean technology it had was a baffle in the back to recirculate the smoke back toward the fire to be re-burned.
064.JPG 065.JPG
With a little more weatherization, the Keystone will handle this place in the coldest, windiest weather. If we end up adding a room, I may have to up-size the stove a bit...

Check into the pros and cons of foam before you take the plunge. I don't know much about it but IIRC, I've seen some mention here of potential mold issues.
Using less wood is always a good thing. Since I started coming here and got "dry-wood religion," I've been burning less wood and getting more heat. :cool:First stove was a 1984 Englander plate-steel stove, N-S cigar burner. The only bit of clean technology it had was a baffle in the back to recirculate the smoke back toward the fire to be re-burned.
View attachment 194491 View attachment 194492
With a little more weatherization, the Keystone will handle this place in the coldest, windiest weather. If we end up adding a room, I may have to up-size the stove a bit...
The foam will be applied under a couple of roofs which are water tight and should be good against mold issues.That old stove is built like a tank.How good did it operate and why did you get rid of it.