N Central Mass.Anyone go halfsies? Pretty sure its oak. A morning of splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Maybe in the wrong forum, so perhaps the mods can give it a move to where it should be>
Ok, here is the situation....I have just cut down 2 40 ft oaks, and it is cut into rounds 14-16" or so.
Largest rounds are probably 20-22" diameter
Problem is, the wood is not at my house, and is appx 15 miles away. I don't have a splitter, and I don't dare hauling the wood in my utility trailer, as it would take me about 5 trips as its fresh cut. I also have 3 small kids, so I just don't have the time this summer to try and get it all done with only an hour here and an hour there.
So, just wondering if anyone has a truck and splitter? I am guessing it is appx 1/2 cord, so it would not be a big haul for you...just your time and use of your splitter.
I'm thinking 1-2 hours of splitting is all it would take. I could bring the rounds to the splitter and you could split/take turns/whatever works. You get to keep half the wood..probably 1/4 cord, and I help load your truck. My benefit, is that you would bring my portion to the house appx 15 miles away.
I'm guessing to some folks it might not be worth their time for the work and small load, but thought if you had a splitter and the time it might be worth it.
My place is in Westminster, Ma and the wood is in Lunenburg, MA....almost on the Fitchburg line...in case you want to google map.
Just send me a PM if anyone is interested.
I can take a pic later in the week and post to confirm its oak.

Edit: Or, you have a good sized truck and no splitter, and you keep half and help me bring my wood to my house....just another option in case you have a truck but no splitter like me :)

Just adding that perhaps a splitter is not needed if you have a decent truck. I can help load it, you get half of it, and help me deliver my half.
I would just rather post here and offer to some that have helped me over the past year or so, than deal with a bunch of somewhat unknowns from Craigslist :)

If you were closer i would help but unforently It a pick of hike for the amount of wood

Id do it but the splitter I have access to is in CT about 40 minutes away from my house in webster. Getting the splitter up to Lunenburg would take an additional hour 20ish. Seems like a little to much driving for a half cord.......=(

Can you split it where it is and pick it up next year when it is lighter?

I'd give you hand in a heartbeat, but that's a couple hours from me. Hopefully someone local can help you out. Any 3/4 or one ton truck should be able to do this in a single trip if it's truly only 1/2 a cord. My guess is you have a little more than a 1/2 cord if the largest rounds are 20"+.

SolarAndWood said:
Can you split it where it is and pick it up next year when it is lighter?

Yeah, this is what I am leaning too....just would prefer the wood in my yard versus 15 miles away, and thought I would make an offer to a fellow board member to bang out the job quickly. I think I might split this year, and perhaps pick it up next spring....should be 30% lighter or so, and maybe the FIL will let me borrow the new F150 he picked up.

How much do you think it would be reduced by if split/stacked now and placed in full sun for a year? Covered on top only.(I don't burn a lot of oak, so I am not sure what to anticipate)
My Trailer is older, so I don't like to put more than 700-800 lbs on it.
Thanks.

I can't give you an exact answer, but I can tell you oak takes more than a year to season. What you could do is split it small and thin which would drastically reduce the seasoning time. The down side to doing this is you'll loose much of those long burns by splitting the wood thin.

What I would do is just rent or borrow a truck, or plan your trips and pick the wood up when you find you need to travel to that area anyway. I'm sure you'll be heading in that direction more than five times in the next year anyway, just bring your trailer around. I would not try putting a 1/2 cord+ of oak in a F150 (1/2 ton) truck... do it in two trips, or use a trailer as well. A 3/4 or 1 ton would do it in a single trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.