N/S Lopi freedom splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinsonfire

Aug 13, 2016
Norfolk, ma
hi everyone, looking for some help. Just bought a new house and pretty much made up my mind on the Lopi freedom insert. Specs say it will take 24" split. I'm assuming that's east to west, can anyone tell me what it can handle north to south? My old regency was a monster and very easy to load n/s, I know the Lopi is tapered but trying to get an idea if the center is going to take a split close to 18" n/s or if it's 16" and under? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Based on the firebrick it looks like the firebox is 13.5" deep.

Yep, looks like 13.5"

It's not very capable being loaded N/S, it's an E/W burner for sure. It's a little frustrating to load at times honestly.

It's not very capable being loaded N/S, it's an E/W burner for sure. It's a little frustrating to load at times honestly.
Thanks for the info, little depressing I was kind of set on this stove but I think n/s loading is pretty important so I may keep looking. How long have you been using a freedom? Do you recommend it overall?

The Quad 5100i firebox is deep and the PE Summit has a square firebox. Both can load N/S.

Thanks for the info, little depressing I was kind of set on this stove but I think n/s loading is pretty important so I may keep looking. How long have you been using a freedom? Do you recommend it overall?
I used a freedom for a few seasons, I install several every year and service a few dozen Lopis every year. It's a solid stove for sure. Loading n/s isn't that big of a deal to me, but the tapered box can be a real pita! I prefer to load e/w as long as the box isn't tapered. Maybe you could step up to the freedom bay? Or if you don't need big heat, the 1750 loads n/s

I cut a lot of my wood 12-13" long for N-S loading in my Republic 1250. I guess it means a little more handling of the wood, but I don't see it as a big deal.

I used to have a Freedom. I liked to load N/S. To get around the tapered sides I would just load in shorter pieces there (12" or 13"), or uglies. It was fine. I can't remember exactly what it could take in the center, but I seem to remember 18" would put it just in front of the glass.

It was a beast. By the way, you're not Dan Rice, are you?! ;)

I have a cape cod which is pretty much the same fire box I think. 95% of the time I load it EW it will fit some big splits that way. Love to load it NS but it means 13" maybe 13.5" so since I don't order wood but scrounge from why the park Dept gives us and other sources I am stuck to load EW. Stove performes really well.

I just measured the freedom, looks like 12 to 15 inches n/s but I normally run mine e/w as I have some pretty big splits of oak I burn.The stove really bangs out some heat.Wife complains I am too"Hollywood" when I run it over 80!

My Hampton HI300 has a 2.3 ft3 firebox and loads N/S. Can really squeeze a lot of splits in there. I wonder if you'd lose some usability of the 2.7ft3 the Lopi has with the tapering?

My Hampton HI300 has a 2.3 ft3 firebox and loads N/S. Can really squeeze a lot of splits in there. I wonder if you'd lose some usability of the 2.7ft3 the Lopi has with the tapering?
Thanks for the response. Actually think I'm going to end up with the regency i2400, my local guy only has regency not Hampton but I think it's the same difference. Stove sounds like a work horse and I agree that the Lopi would have some wasted space. Now just trying to decide if it should go in the finished basement or the main level.... I have a split ranch, I'd like to put it in the basement but I think I'd have to keep the basement around 90 to move it up stairs... Always something to stress over. Thanks again

You have a fireplace upstairs?
I don't think heating from the basement would be that great, but that's just me.

I do, basement and main floor both have fireplaces. Regency will fit in either so trying to decide where to place it. Can obviously move it after a season but ideally I'd like to get it right the first time!

Split ranch is like a raised ranch? If so I would put a free standing stove downstairs. I have a raised ranch and I installed an insert upstairs. If knew then what I know now I would have had a BK ashford 30 sitting there and if I wanted to heat with wood only I would have gotten the king. Maybe some day I will but the bullet and I will go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.