NACC Argonaut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This ship has run aground near Cornwall Ontario and has a list to the portside, they say it isn't taking on water or causing any pollution. The second link is what little info I've found.

Reactions: Ashful
Im glad it’s not taking on water. A bulk carrier full of hardened cement would be tough to unload!

I can’t say I understand low water levels, our spillways have been open since May and are just getting the water levels to normal.

Im glad it’s not taking on water. A bulk carrier full of hardened cement would be tough to unload!

I can’t say I understand low water levels, our spillways have been open since May and are just getting the water levels to normal.
This time of year they usually are low, people who live on the river have complained but it seems like the water is either really high or low.

If any of the news sites in Cornwall or over here update the info, I'll post it.

We're in our first dry stretch since NYS put the burn ban on in early spring.

From Facebook.
St. Lawrence Seaway Ship Watchers Network
1695587272788.png

**NACC ARGONAUT aground off Cornwall Island**
Update (4:30pm) - Tug Ocean Intrepide is en route to St Lambert Lock.
Update (4pm) - Ocean tugs will depart over the course of the evening to assist in the salvage of NACC ARGONAUT. Ocean Intrepide is expected to depart Montreal and arrive at the ship in the overnight hours, while Ocean K Rusby is believed to be joining the operation and would arrive sometime Monday. It is believed the ship has sustained damage and taking on water. There is a visible list to the port side. Traffic will remain stopped overnight and once daylight breaks, a decision will be made on whether traffic can resume while the ship remains aground. We will provide an update later tonight.
Update (1:30pm) - NACC ARGONAUT remains hard aground off the tip of Cornwall Island. Several photos from the scene have been shared here - thank you for providing. Tugs (at least 2 for starters) are said to be preparing for assignment. Seaway pilots are reportedly being taken from current schedule as delay time is unknown. As many as 6 ships currently affected.
Update (11am) - NACC ARGONAUT is aground between St Regis and Pilon Island west of Glen Walter, ON and just east of Cornwall Island. The ship drifted out of the channel around 6am and traffic was suspended. The area in which the ship sits is known for its strong current and narrow channel. We are awaiting confirmation of tug assistance being dispatched. It’s believe Seaway inspectors are en route and/or already on scene.
Original (8:30am, Sept 24) - NACC ARGONAUT is reportedly aground off Cornwall. Ship traffic has been suspended. Water levels outside the channel in the vicinity of the ship’s location quickly drop below 16 feet.
We are awaiting more information.
For updates, visit https://x.com/theshipwatcher

Having run aground countless times, I feel for the crew. Of course, I can just shoulder my boat off most sandbars, which ain't gonna happen with that thing! ;lol

I remember running aground in the inter coastal. Yeah, much easier to get off a sandbar when the inertia doesn’t carry you that far into it!

... and when your boat displaces less than 2 tons, rather than 9000+!

If you have Facebook, checkout the St. Lawrence Seaway Ship Watchers Network. I'm not sure if Fort Drum was training but the helicopter was just above the water and the ship was coming in that direction.

It looks like the work will start tomorrow morning since the tug won't arrive until 8 or 9 tonight.

I also saw that they have a helicopter at the site of the grounded ship.

Last edited:
This update is from Michael James Folsom of St. Lawrence Seaway Ship Watchers Network.

Update (8:15pm) - Ocean K Rusby has arrived, joining Ocean Intrepide at the ship. They then proceeded to Cornwall for the night. An attempt to refloat will take place as early as 730am on Tuesday.

As mentioned previously and reconfirmed by multiple sources, contrary to some media reports, there is in fact a breach of the ship’s hull which has caused the vessel to take on water, though not of any known significance and currently unknown how it will affect the ship once off the rock shelf. Once removed from the rock shelf, the ship is expected to go to anchorage where it will be turned around and moved to Valleyfield for further inspection.