Name that stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2013
usa
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and hoped I could use some of your expertise.
Hopefully I posted in the proper area (don't want to start off on the wrong foot)

I am in the process of purchasing a new home and it comes with a wood stove. I can’t seem to find out who makes it/what year it is/how efficient it is. (and wheather I should throw it outside and replace it with my Jotul 118 ;)
I will be inspecting it and doing some test fires after we close.
I did grab one photo of it, hopefully it uploads.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2013-11-01 13.23.19.jpg
    2013-11-01 13.23.19.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 1,291
I can't tell you what kind of stove it is but that is one sketchy install hanging over the hearth like that with carpet below<>

I can't tell you what kind of stove it is but that is one sketchy install hanging over the hearth like that with carpet below<>

Haha, I thought the same. It’s cantilevered on 2 pieces of angle iron.
If it burns well I will be making some major changes including a new base complete with a tile surround.

Ok. If you'd like me to name your stove, then I'll name it Fred. Yup. Fred's a good name.

looks like a liberty bell from the homemade company:eek: depending on the area your trying to heat it might be the 118 but you might have to get a bigger piece of bluestone

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and hoped I could use some of your expertise.
Hopefully I posted in the proper area (don't want to start off on the wrong foot)

I am in the process of purchasing a new home and it comes with a wood stove. I can’t seem to find out who makes it/what year it is/how efficient it is. (and wheather I should throw it outside and replace it with my Jotul 118 ;)
I will be inspecting it and doing some test fires after we close.
I did grab one photo of it, hopefully it uploads.

Thanks for the help.

I have this exact same wood stove in my basement. Do/did you used to live in MA? I can't figure out for the life of me what kind of stove this is or how to install it.

I have this exact same wood stove in my basement. Do/did you used to live in MA? I can't figure out for the life of me what kind of stove this is or how to install it.
I live in northern CT, the stove came with the house.
I would recommend not installing your stove canteleivered over the carpet like mine ha-ha!

I really did like the stove, it just created way too much creosote due to a "slammer" type of install. So we replaced it with a jotul f500.

The slammer is basically a vertical block off plate with a cutout in it for a the outlet from the stove. My chimney liner was 13" x13" +- thus allowing the gasses to cool and create a hard glaze creosote. This stuff was so hard to get off.

I wanted to find a way to use the stove, but there was just too much fabricating to do, so I got the jotul with a 6" insulated liner, and am very happy I did. No more creosote and if there is, its a breeze to clean.

I think I'm going to use the stove outside and try to build a meat smoker. It was a great stove in the house, heated the place well. I even got it to glow orange once without burning the house down... Inadvertently.

If you could find a way to line your chimney with a pipe that was equal to the outlet of the stove, it might work. Just be careful, because it loves to make creosote.

If you want the "slammer" plate for a fireplace mount, its all yours. Just PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.