Name the species.....Maple maybe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Splits nice...very light in color.

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

Looks like Aspen to me.

Looks like silver maple yard bird limbs to me.

I also suspect a little bit of soft maple in the mix, but I know the third pic is Aspen for sure.

Definitely some of it is Aspen, and the catkins are aspen. I am not sure ALL of it is Aspen, but some is.

Thanks everyone...

Dad and i were stumped. It's all from the same tree. Are Aspen trees native to my area (central Maryland)?

I think you have Quaking Aspen and Bigtooth Aspen, like we do here in central PA. Several other trees in the same genus are commonly planted (poplars, cottonwoods, etc.) and if this is from a yard, street, or park, you probably have one of those species instead of a native.

I'm stumped . . . catkins indicate it could be a poplar (aka aspen), but the bark and look of the wood indicates it is a maple. Maybe you have one of those babled "maplars" . . . or is it a "popaple" . . . or an "aspaple" . . . or "mappen" . . . yeah . . . definitely a "mappen." ;) :)

quaking aspen here is greyish white fairly smooth bark rather a lot like those
another kind of poplar also grows here with brown bark that gets deeply fissured.

Bark looks like soft maple to me.

firefighterjake said:
I'm stumped . . . catkins indicate it could be a poplar (aka aspen), but the bark and look of the wood indicates it is a maple. Maybe you have one of those babled "maplars" . . . or is it a "popaple" . . . or an "aspaple" . . . or "mappen" . . . yeah . . . definitely a "mappen." ;) :)

Wrong Jake, it's a paple. Second thought, it COULD be an asple.
Looks like maple to me. Got a ton of 'em around here. Poplar too, but I say maple.
What do I win?

I just split a little bit of wood that looks exactly like that this past Saturday and it is some kind of Maple, soft I'm certain. Nice white inside, split very cleanly.

IT"S ASPEN

PA. Woodsman said:
nrford said:
IT"S ASPEN

Is Aspen white inside with a light brown stripe down the middle?

Could have light brown sapwood Yes!

Soft maple limbs....

Status
Not open for further replies.