Napoleon 1401 baffles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AUDIous

Jan 28, 2018
Ct
I look on here all the time to answer questions I may have about my wood stove, but this is the first time I haven't been able to find the answer so I had to actually make a post. I just put baffles in my Napoleon 1401 insert after cleaning it out while the weather has been warm for a few days. When I got the stove it had two layers of fire bricks on the top. I decided to try the baffles out to see if that improved the draft issue I have occasionally since it would be thinner than the two layers of bricks. My question is they don't cover up the entire opening at the top of the stove, is this how they are supposed to be?

IMG_20180128_170909.jpg IMG_20180128_170852.jpg

I can't even tell what I'm looking at.....Is that the center support bar that runs down the middle? What part aren't they covering that you think they should be?

Yes that is the center bar, it's hard to see in the pictures but the baffles don't make it all the way to the front were the door is. There is about an inch and a half gap.

Well....yeah....they can't go all the way left to right and front to back...how do you think the smoke would get around them to go up the chimney? It's a baffle not a block-off plate. It sounds right to me.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
There is an angled piece right at the door I believe Napoleon calls the air wash that directs everything over the top and towards the chimney. With the bricks in place instead of the baffles there was no gap, that's why I'm unsure if it's correct. I will probably try it tomorrow night when the temperature drops back down and see what happens. I was just hoping someone would know if the gap was normal with the baffles.

Try to google the manual and see what it says. It should have pictures/diagrams.

I know my quad has an opening. So do Regency......Don't think I've ever seen one completely covering the entire top of a stove.

It's kind of unclear from the manual. The middle picture on the right side is for a 1401

Attachments

• 721a6177-48cc-4528-b327-748cce2cdf57-bga.png
    721a6177-48cc-4528-b327-748cce2cdf57-bga.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 263
I would interpret that drawing as having the baffle front edge ending flush with whatever the firebrick below it are although I can't tell if there is any distance between the front brick and what would be the front of the stove.

Napoleon 1401 Installation and Operation Instructions
Bricks and Baffles Installation
Carefully pivot fiber baffle up onto the top of the side brick. Slide it over onto the flange of the manifold. Ensure that the top baffles are pushed all the way to the rear of the firebox, leaving a minimum of a 1 inch gap along the front. This will allow the flue gases to escape the firebox