Napoleon NPS 40 Firepot Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tecster

Oct 22, 2014
Connecticut
First year with this stove, I bought it used from a friend. Unknown history to it, or how he maintained it.

Fast forward to this winter, so far we've gone through 1 3/4 ton first was Green Supreme and the current one I'm working on is Stove Chow. The stove loved the Green Supremes and so far these Stove Chows have been burning well, the issue I've started to have is that the stove pot during the last 5-7 bags has been filling up awfully quickly. I did a through cleaning of the stove on Friday, here it is Sunday the pots full and stove is burning like chit. I have no idea what could be wrong, the next ton I'll be buying is Heaters HotOnes (i think that's the name).

Anyway, any suggestions?

Manual in case you don't have it: http://napoleonproducts.com/downloads/fireplaces/manuals/obsolete/NPS40.pdf

What maintenance have you been doing as it sound like you have an air problem? Did you give the stove a deep clean (internal exhaust pathways) using brushes and compressed air outside before bringing it inside to install? Have you cleaned internal exhaust pathways and venting again recently? Make sure you have a gasket so you can pull the exhaust blower and clean in there. The manual states every two tons or semi-annually. The vertical exhaust chambers need a good cleaning - I use a dryer lint brush and attached a hose to my shop vac with drywall filter (cold stove) to catch flyash that is clinging to the inner walls.

How old is the stove and have you checked the door gaskets (hopper and ashpan as appropriate) using the dollar bill test? Air leaks because of gaskets can also generate burn problems.

Keep us posted...

Hello LakeGirl and thank you for the response.

Not entirely sure what a true deep clean means, every week I ash vacuum out the entire thing. I usually scrape the ash off the back wall and vacuum as much as I can get to. As for the deep clean I've gotten the vacuum hose into any spot I possibly can, I took what I believe are called the exhaust ports. There is one on each side, it's s plate that covers it and I pulled them off and sucked out as much ash as I could.

I did not completely clean the stove before bringing it in the home as I should've, I was not as informed on how important airflow is on a stove. As for the dollar bill test I've never heard of it? I've priced out a new exhaust blower gasket and if I recall correctly they need to be removed and cleaned. I would love to get information as to how to remove and clean it before doing so, I will be ordering the gasket and a door seal as well because I do not believe its been replaced ever.

Another thing I've noticed is the tubes that shoot the heat out aren't blowing all the same amount - i don't know if this is normal or not. A guide to s deep clean would be perfect. I think something has to be off because I've blown through this ton incredibly quick.

Regular cleaning I use the ash vac (use the search box up top to find vac recommendations). I use the shop vac w/drywall filter for when I do a deep clean ... have the micro attachment that I connect the hose to and snake it through that exhaust port from the firebox. I have heard people using bottle brushes to clean behind...

Page 28 of the above manual walks you through cleaning .... spend the time to read/reread the manual:) I tend to rinse and dry off my flame trap but not sure if you can do the same with the removable louvres... You may want to take a look at your convection blower too if air from heat exchanger tubes is inconsistent. Small paint brush can be used on the vanes. Compressed air can help too but don't let blower over rotate. Compressed air in the vents of the motor windings to evict the dust bunnies.

Good luck with the cleaning and let us know how you make out!

I haven't gotten to a full clean yet, had some money issues but I'll be purchasing the gasket on Friday. I did the dollar bill test, some spots are questionable so I ordering a door gasket.

As for cleaning the exhaust piping I see some are doing a leaf blower trick, I wouldn't mind doing such but my piping is inside the home. It comes off the stove, up about 5ft then exits the house. Any suggestions?

As for cleaning the exhaust piping I see some are doing a leaf blower trick, I wouldn't mind doing such but my piping is inside the home. It comes off the stove, up about 5ft then exits the house. Any suggestions?

Leaf blower trick is performed from outside the house ... Disconnect vac switch in the stove, secure leaf blower vacuum port over the end of the exhaust outside after removing termination cap, fire away. Glasses and respiratory protection are a good idea JIC. Should be able to find video on the forum using the seach box top right...

Yeah I understaf its performed outside the house unfortunately that's not how my piping is setup.

From the back of the stove the exhaust comes out about a foot, then goes up (while still inside the house) about 5 feet, then it turns out through a wall thimble and continues about 3-4 feet from the side of the house and terminates.

Right, so go outside, remove the end cap, put the leaf blower suction side over the pipe and turn it on. Pipe inside or outside does not matter.

Lake girl,

I opened up the sides, took a look at the exhaust blower and combustion blower... Holy crap were they dirty. The combustion more then exhaust. I cleaned them both up the best I could - fired up the stove. Right now I can tell the air is flowing so so much better through the tubes - what would come out on setting 5, is
coming out on level 2 lol

Time will tell if that fixed the pot issue.

Napoleon NPS 40 Firepot Issues

Thought I had it all figured out...apparently I didn't. 3 days and the pots full - could it be normal because I'm running her on a high setting due to the cold snap? Could it be that the air intake isn't plumbed to outside? Could it be that I don't have the right fuel to air setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.