Napoleon NZ26 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SHG

Dec 2, 2021
Ontario
Had my chimney cleaned and unit is working. Only problem that I have now is the draft control seems like it's not functioning properly. Seems to be on full open mode and cannot decrease the vent for some reason. Any thoughts on what I should check out to resolve this? Your input is greatly appreciated.

How quickly is the air control being used to slow down the fire? Once the wood is hot and outgassing vigorously secondary combustion takes over. In most stoves and zc fireplaces that is normally unregulated. Loose stacking of dry wood, crisscrossed or lincoln log style, will make exacerbate the situation if the air is not turned down fairly rapidle as the fire is building.

How quickly is the air control being used to slow down the fire? Once the wood is hot and outgassing vigorously secondary combustion takes over. In most stoves and zc fireplaces that is normally unregulated. Loose stacking of dry wood, crisscrossed or lincoln log style, will make exacerbate the situation if the air is not turned down fairly rapidle as the fire is building.
I understand what you are saying. However, what's puzzling is once the fire in the chamber burns down to coals, I'll put in a few pieces, close the door and the fire builds rapidly, even with the built in damper at its lowest level.

Some primary air is always fed to the fire to avoid smoldering and reduce the chance of backpuffing. If the coal bed is hot and the wood is dry, it will burn well. I see this same thing in our stove. If I add splits on a robust, hot coal bed I don't need to touch the air control, especially in very cold weather when the draft is stronger.

How tall is the chimney on the fireplace?

I understand what you are saying. However, what's puzzling is once the fire in the chamber burns down to coals, I'll put in a few pieces, close the door and the fire builds rapidly, even with the built in damper at its lowest level.
Have you checked the stove door gaskets and the stove glass gasket to make sure they are doing their job and sealing well?

Chimney is approximately 25 ft. Door seals and glass are good. I think I'll wait for a warmer day and take the draft control mechanism apart to see if it is functioning properly. It will be a real PITA job as the space under the unit is tight and not very visible.

Looking at the air control is worthwhile. Some are simple, almost bulletproof designs and others can loosen up over time.