native trout and ramps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
took a break from cutting wood today...headed for the mountains....caught several native brook trout and dug a sack of ramps...no pics of ramps...the ramps are endless...i could have dug 25 pick up loads if i wanted to..
few pics of the trout..all different trout

First day of trout season was last Saturday in my part of Pa. I can't stand fishing in crowds (well, except for salmon fishing) so I head to a small native brook trout stream not too far from our camp to have some fun. If we catch a 7 incher out of there it's a monster!

Camp needed a roof so this year I spent this last weekend screwing around on a 10/12 pitch instead of fishing. Missed a day fishing, but if all goes well, I'll never need to be on that roof again!

Thanks for the great pics. We have a while to wait for the ramps yet.

pen

right there with ya on the crowds pen...so i resort to the mountain streams where i have never ever saw anyone else fishing....we hit a few creeks that are a good hike in..most wont go since they have to walk to get there.....we get ramps...good fishing..sometimes morel mushrooms.....and peace and quiet....thats fishing to me!....we catch lots of small natives as well....and a few of the ones pictured above almost every trip...and we always release every fish we catch

right there with ya on the crowds pen...so i resort to the mountain streams where i have never ever saw anyone else fishing....we hit a few creeks that are a good hike in..most wont go since they have to walk to get there.....we get ramps...good fishing..sometimes morel mushrooms.....and peace and quiet....thats fishing to me!....we catch lots of small natives as well....and a few of the ones pictured above almost every trip...

as it should be!

Wish I had a better eye for morels. My boy gets a little older I think I'm going to start him young in hunting for them. A buddy of mine started his son young and the kid has a better eye for them than anyone I know. Not sure if he's just that good or if starting young makes the difference.

pen

are they big enough to keep?

u can keep any u want...but we dont keep any..these are native brook trout not stocked trout....cant bring myself to kepp any

Reactions: pen
I have to ask what are ramps and morels?

I have to ask what are ramps and morels?

Glad someone asked since I had no idea of what a ramp was . . . except for something that I use to load my ATV into my pick up.

Morels are a type of mushroom I am thinking . . . and by that context I would guess that ramps must be a type of mushroom.

Glad someone asked since I had no idea of what a ramp was . . . except for something that I use to load my ATV into my pick up.

Morels are a type of mushroom I am thinking . . . and by that context I would guess that ramps must be a type of mushroom.

A ramp is a wild Leek.
images

I have a friend that makes bread and butter ramps (same brine you'd use for bread and butter pickles) that are simply outstanding.

Morel is a mushroom (damn good one)

Morchella-esculenta-index.jpg

pen

A ramp is a wild Leek.
images

I have a friend that makes bread and butter ramps (same brine you'd use for bread and butter pickles) that are simply outstanding.

pen

And now we know . . . and knowing is half the battle.

I've now learned something new today . . . I can now not think of anything else for the rest of the day. ;)

A ramp is a wild Leek.
images

pen
Thank you sir I now have this strange urge to out in the woods and start eating fungus! I would love to learn more about this stuff but Im afraid if I don't go with someone that knows Ill end up eating something bad or hallucinogenic!!!

good luck Gamma, hope you've been practicing your trout calls.

Reactions: raybonz and zap
right there with ya on the crowds pen...so i resort to the mountain streams where i have never ever saw anyone else fishing....we hit a few creeks that are a good hike in..most wont go since they have to walk to get there.....we get ramps...good fishing..sometimes morel mushrooms.....and peace and quiet....thats fishing to me!....we catch lots of small natives as well....and a few of the ones pictured above almost every trip...and we always release every fish we catch
Where have you been hitting the natives? I'm not a fisherman, but I do backpack around quite a few native streams. I really enjoy Seneca Creek area, I understand it's on Trout Unlimited's top 100 in the country. Also around Red Creek in Dolly Sods a lot.

panhandler.....coal knob ton of creeks that hold natives up there...

mattjim really isnt anything else out there that looks like a morel.....if u find some u wont stop looking for em after u get a taste of them

panhandler.....coal knob ton of creeks that hold natives up there...

mattjim really isnt anything else out there that looks like a morel.....if u find some u wont stop looking for em after u get a taste of them

Some species of Helvella (google Helvella mushroom for pics.) can resemble Morels and are deadly. Verpa Bohemica (false or half free morel) causes poisoning in some people. Stinkhorn mushrooms can resemble Morels (especially after the spore mass is dissipated).

Native trout are fantastic to see. I was able to fish a small creek in NNJ that was one of a few that had native Brown Trout. I fished in October with a spinning rod, using 2lb test and a size 16 hook. Found small slugs on the bank and drifted them with no wieght. The smallest fish was only 4-5 inches and was stunning in color and detail. Stocked fish have none of the real colors and patterns that they should when in the wild.

Reactions: ScotO and f3cbboy
Of course if the trout aren't biting you can always bag some Snipe.

Have you ever seen a wild Snipe? Granite rocks work best and I found the newer plastic bags scare them away if they hear them being opened up. Best to stick with plain old paper.

Methods and tackle seem to vary considerably depending on the region and particular habitat involved. If Gamma's going with someone, she should ask them what works best for Snipe in their area.

Methods and tackle seem to vary considerably depending on the region and particular habitat involved. If Gamma's going with someone, she should ask them what works best for Snipe in their area.

You really think the locals are gonna give up that kind of information;)

Reactions: pen
I bet Gamma can tease it out 'o them!

Status
Not open for further replies.