Natural Gas fire pit insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

golfpro2301

May 7, 2024
Jacksonville
I am in process of building out backyard patio/yoga deck. I am building an 8' tall fireplace that has a see through natural gas fire pit with inset TV above on both sides. I did perimeter framing in treated 2x4 and inner near fire pit area with metal studs. The ceiling of where fire pit will go will be 1/2" cement board with porcelain tile. My question is the distance between top of fire pit and where the TV insert will be is roughly 13" Should I wrap insulation around top and sides of firepit walls to protect from heat? is a 36"x12" with 150k BTU

Note the steel studs is not completely framed out yet

I think you’d be better off using a couple of sections of zero clearance fireplace venting up the middle. That would draw the heat away from your tvs. There is an air gap between the inner section & outer section which should keep the “chimney cooler & the air flow up that path would lower the heat out of the fireplace openings. It may be logistically impossible in your situation, but I think it might be a better design. Just my $.02…

Reactions: EbS-P
I should have specified there will be no glass on the front or back. It will be all open for air to pass through and heat to escape. I did it this way in hopes to prevent a vent as I dont have room for it.

What is the appliance that you are planning to install?

Here is better example of what I am working with. I still need to do cement board on sides and cover with tile. I am thinking of ceramic fiber insulation op the sides and over top of the 3 steel cross studs you see. Nothing on bottom as in my experience there isnt much heat on bottom of these fire pans.