natural gas in rural VT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjvt

May 1, 2014
VT
What's the likelihood of getting natural gas in rural VT (Barnet, specifically) in the foreseeable future? Seems very unlikely, but I know very little about the subject. We're closing in on a wood boiler purchase, and would hate to spend a million dollars on that only to see natural gas arrive in a few years. Not gonna happen though, is it?

Highly unlikely would be my guess. Vermont Gas is planning to expand service down from Burlington to Middlebury and potentially to Rutland some time 2020. I have not heard of any plans going east; would probably be cost prohibitive anyway. You may actually have more luck that a company from New Hampshire (like Liberty Utilities) would like to cross the Connecticut. But I would not expect that any time soon if at all. I also doubt that natural gas prices will stay as low as they are right now. And when your boiler will really cost a million $ I would look for a different installer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.