Natural granite flooring, how to achieve a wet look gloss?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
I'm buying a bunch of sliced granite to use for flooring, island back and possibly as a replacement of my current hearth.
It's sawn fairly smooth but very chalky. I'd really like to get close to the look that you get when water is poured on it.

Looking for suggestions of a sealer that would achieve. I have a 511 high gloss sealer but for some reason it just keeps turning my sample stones chalky looking after it dries , even after multiple coats. It does not say for granite. Seems more for pavers.
I tried their low sheen and while it does darken and show characteristics of granite it's low gloss and has started to chalk after drying a bit but nowhere near that of the high gloss.
The high gloss doesn't even look like I put anything on it.

I've had a suggestion of using epoxy but I'm worried it will not refinish well. I'd prefer a sealer.

I'm also considering buying a bunch of diamond pads from eBay and just spending the hours and hours to polish these.

Any ideas?

How about clear high gloss wood floor finish? The water based polyurethane would be my first choice. Id test adhesion before doing a lot of it.

How about clear high gloss wood floor finish? The water based polyurethane would be my first choice. Id test adhesion before doing a lot of it.
Interesting I have a small amount I can test for adhesion appearance and wear. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: EbS-P
I don’t know if I would use a sealant first or not. Probably not.

I'm in the middle of making a hearth pad from 1/2" granite tiles. Heat is not a major problem for me (ember protection only), but I'm conservative about heat on finishes over time. So far I'm just using a common water-based sealer (Granite Gold). Not that nice wet-stone look, but I've tested it and it does help resist grape juice and other stains, at least long enough to clean them up.

Hoping that you'll find something better and post the info here.

I'm buying a bunch of sliced granite to use for flooring, island back and possibly as a replacement of my current hearth.
It's sawn fairly smooth but very chalky. I'd really like to get close to the look that you get when water is poured on it.

Looking for suggestions of a sealer that would achieve. I have a 511 high gloss sealer but for some reason it just keeps turning my sample stones chalky looking after it dries , even after multiple coats. It does not say for granite. Seems more for pavers.
I tried their low sheen and while it does darken and show characteristics of granite it's low gloss and has started to chalk after drying a bit but nowhere near that of the high gloss.
The high gloss doesn't even look like I put anything on it.

I've had a suggestion of using epoxy but I'm worried it will not refinish well. I'd prefer a sealer.

I'm also considering buying a bunch of diamond pads from eBay and just spending the hours and hours to polish these.

Any ideas?

Hopefully, someone has personal experience with this topic.

There are a bunch of questions I wouldn't necessarily ask on a woodburning site. This being among them along with legal advice, medical advice, financial advice directly related to my finances, etc. etc.

No offense intended, but call a flooring store/install and find out from them. Whatever I tell you to use may/may not work.....but it'll cost you time and $$ for sure! ;)

Hopefully, someone has personal experience with this topic.

There are a bunch of questions I wouldn't necessarily ask on a woodburning site. This being among them along with legal advice, medical advice, financial advice directly related to my finances, etc. etc.

No offense intended, but call a flooring store/install and find out from them. Whatever I tell you to use may/may not work.....but it'll cost you time and $$ for sure! ;)
Nobody has the answers because it's not a common stone to use. Very rare to see where I'm at or near non existent. I may resort to using diamond pads and polishing each stone.

Reactions: yooperdave
I'm assuming by 'chalky' you're talking about sawn, but not fully polished? As in, you're getting it fresh from the wet saw, in a rough state of polish? Are these slabs, granite tiles?

If you want granite shiny, you'll need to polish it. Sealant won't last long for the wet look. It will seal porosity, but will wear fairly quickly.

Polishing granite will need power equipment and ability polish it wet or have very good dust collection as you do not want to breathe that. You'll need to start with a very low grit (like 50) and work your way up.

Nobody has the answers because it's not a common stone to use. Very rare to see where I'm at or near non existent. I may resort to using diamond pads and polishing each stone.
I had a 2 x 8 chunk of marble that I was always going to polish into a sheen. Never did. Shame.....

Dang, that thing was heavy.

I'm assuming by 'chalky' you're talking about sawn, but not fully polished? As in, you're getting it fresh from the wet saw, in a rough state of polish? Are these slabs, granite tiles?

If you want granite shiny, you'll need to polish it. Sealant won't last long for the wet look. It will seal porosity, but will wear fairly quickly.

Polishing granite will need power equipment and ability polish it wet or have very good dust collection as you do not want to breathe that. You'll need to start with a very low grit (like 50) and work your way up.
Yes, that is exactly what this is, great description. It is literally granite boulders that are then sliced into 3/4 (or larger if wanted) veneers. If you pour water on them, wow do they look great. But otherwise they are chalky. They are still somewhat attractive and unique looking however you simply can't tell the variations of color etc that well with the unpolished pieces. Id spend 3 hours a stone if I had to, in order to make these look like what I think they could. Rough edges set in a bed of portland cement grout.

Unlikely solution but I'd give paste wax a try.
I'm always amazed at how nicely it works on the metal surfaces of my shop equipment, but then again, I'm going for rust protection and friction reduction, not shine.

Unlikely solution but I'd give paste wax a try.
I'm always amazed at how nicely it works on the metal surfaces of my shop equipment, but then again, I'm going for rust protection and friction reduction, not shine.
so far what Ive tired turns out not so great. Maybe a 10% improvement. At best.
I have diamond wheels coming to attach to a nice polisher that I know has the torque to handle the job. Im not going for counter top shine, Im looking for something between honed and countertop shined. Or at least 30% better than it is.

Make sure to wear breathing protection and clean well afterwards. Granite is mostly silicate. Silicate dust is really bad for your lungs.

Reactions: sneefy
so far what Ive tired turns out not so great. Maybe a 10% improvement. At best.
I have diamond wheels coming to attach to a nice polisher that I know has the torque to handle the job. Im not going for counter top shine, Im looking for something between honed and countertop shined. Or at least 30% better than it is.
That will take some time but probably in the end what you are going for. Are they flat and smooth enough that you could use diamond lapping compound or the cheap stuff and lap one on top of the other??

Are they flat and smooth enough that you could use diamond lapping compound or the cheap stuff and lap one on top of the other??
This is a good question and point. If you do the polishing by hand with a handheld wheel/grinder, they will not end up flat.

I was wondering if there was any way to automate the polishing. How big are they?

Ok so each stone is anywhere from about 8" across to 20+" across.
Check out their flooring options to see what Im referring to but here's a screenshot.
None of the examples they show on the website look like mine. Mine are all rather dull and have zero sheen on them. When I tried recommended hi sheen wet look sealers, they do not bring out the depth like the ones on that website. The owners recommended some products that I tried with the exception of the clear epoxy, which may be whats required to get that look and maybe that's how I go. I just havent tested anything as all the well reviewed brands seem out of stock.

I did buy a $25 diamond polish kit from amazon, and put about 3-4 minutes of effort on part of my stone starting with 80,100,200,400,800,1600 grit diamond pads. I have what appears to be a dull countertop shine and depth now. BUT they are going to be super slippery.
I will post pictures when I get near my stone again.

BTW this company has been amazing to work with. Responsive, they answer questions, send out samples, ok pricing and freight. I can't complain much. I really dont understand why this isnt much more wide spread. Maybe it's a personal taste but I want nothing to do with square tile. This is going in a cabin in the mountains. Tile just wouldnt fit in, and slate or flagstone just isnt for me.

Never installed any but I used to do cleaning and every natural stone flooring we saw installed required at least a moderate amount of grinding and polishing to look presentable.

As you found out 'wet look' is going to be slippery, even acrylic floor finishes to some extent.

I was wondering if there was any way to automate the polishing. How big are they?
The easiest thing I could do would be to set them in cement then polish.
Everyone seems to like the polished look but everyone said the same thing, slip and fall.
I had marble in a townhouse foyer, hallway, bathrooms - and it wasnt that bad. The worst was snowy rubbery boots. Or HARD soles like leather mens shoes.
I anticipate no matter what I do that Im going to need to put down some sort of small rug in the front to absorb water/dirt when you first walk in. Maybe I could polish AND cut some grooves in each stone o_O

The easiest thing I could do would be to set them in cement then polish.
Everyone seems to like the polished look but everyone said the same thing, slip and fall.
I had marble in a townhouse foyer, hallway, bathrooms - and it wasnt that bad. The worst was snowy rubbery boots. Or HARD soles like leather mens shoes.
I anticipate no matter what I do that Im going to need to put down some sort of small rug in the front to absorb water/dirt when you first walk in. Maybe I could polish AND cut some grooves in each stone o_O
We had a leathered granite counter installed. It has some texture but it’s not a glossy finish. Is just wet the top closest to show the difference. I read that they use diamond tipped brushes to texturize it. Not sure how one could replicate a DIY finish.

image.jpg

Reactions: NHWS
We had a leathered granite counter installed. It has some texture but it’s not a glossy finish. Is just wet the top closest to show the difference. I read that they use diamond tipped brushes to texturize it. Not sure how one could replicate a DIY finish.

View attachment 311460
That's a cool granite.
Im not sure how they make that work. Looks like what they call honed granite to me, which is simply stopping at the 1500 grit level I believe.

That's a cool granite.
Im not sure how they make that work. Looks like what they call honed granite to me, which is simply stopping at the 1500 grit level I believe.
Edit…. Since the stone is not a uniform hardness it really shows the texture of the stone. Softer material is removed faster than the hard.

4" Antiquing Silicone Carbide Brushes 7 Piece Grit 36 to Grit 500 Granite Stone Marble 5/8-11 Thread stone texture work with wet polisher or hand held grinder stone repair care https://a.co/d/a4zbbd4

Last edited:
Edit…. Since the stone is not a uniform hardness it really shows the texture of the stone. Softer material is removed faster than the hard.

4" Antiquing Silicone Carbide Brushes 7 Piece Grit 36 to Grit 500 Granite Stone Marble 5/8-11 Thread stone texture work with wet polisher or hand held grinder stone repair care https://a.co/d/a4zbbd4

wow, the things people think of to do with stone. That's pretty cool.

When I worked for the school board in maintenance, terrazo floors were stripped with Ammonia and water , mopped up then rinsed then resealed with a liquid wax compound. One year I had to flatten the stairs in a couple schools that were about 75 years old or more . That required the diamond grinding wheels on a 9" hand held unit, hand applied water to keep the dust down, lot of elbow grease. Likely was a better way to do it but that was what i was supplied with, turned out decent.

Reactions: EbS-P