NC 30 curing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

catmandoo

Sep 22, 2017
VT
I got my new NC 30 this week and decided to try and cure the paint outside the garage after work. I lit a small fire and built it slowly. I tried closing the door and fire went out so I figured it wasn't able to draft. I added 8' of single wall stove pipe I had laying around thinking it should be enough. I had the same result, the fire went out in minutes. So what gives? Will this stop happening once I get it inside and the cold weather rolls around. Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the air deliver system in the stove

Thanks in advance,
Catman

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting decent draft can be challenging in milder temps. When I broke in the last stove I had to leave the door ajar in order to get it up to temp. Then I could close it. Be sure the wood is very dry and loosely packed so that air can get around the splits. Use smaller splits or maybe use some 2x4 cutoffs to help it burn.

Do these models let in a extremely limited amount of air by design? I just had it ripping really well with a split that read 20% and when I closed the door it just went right out.

Pull the rod out for max inlet air. It's an easy breather.

EPA stoves need a good draft that isn't gonna be provided in the front yard. Leave the door cracked to cure the paint. After it is installed on the chimney it will be fine with the door closed. Been there, done that.
IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2088.JPG

You can slow cure it right in its final location . Just a slow burn with a few pieces of kindling ,you can always open a window. I have a whole house fan that makes it a snap.