Need a chimney top fireplace damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plroweny

Dec 9, 2009
Long Island
Can anyone recommend the best chimney top damper to install? The old one rusted out (after 50 years) and I'm not sure what to buy as a replacement?

Thanks. I'm looking at the Lyemance but in the details it says:

"Please Note: Snow and Ice may keep the Lyemance Damper from working properly in the winter time."

That makes me wonder, when else would I use it for a fireplace damper? Certainly not in the summer. Have you ever heard of anyone having a problem in the winter with it?

I just removed a Lyemance damper from our basement fireplace last fall that I had installed over 20 years ago. There were a couple of times that when the cable was released that there was enough ice that the damper did not open. If you pull down hard on the cable several times it will almost always release. If it did not I found that if we left the fireplace doors open that the heat from the house would rise up the chimney and the damper would pop open in less than 10 minutes. Never did we have a time that we could not get it to open up, great product.

From what I've seen in my 9+ years with these dampers is that the ONLY
problems happen during some of those severe ice storms we get round these parts.
Every 10 - 15 years or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.