Need a generator, push button start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
Alright, generators are issues for me. I am shopping for a new one. History here, I bought a Honeywell inverter generator, it was terrible and got OEM replaced, they gave me a generac, that was terrible and got OEM replaced, they gave me another. Now its out of warranty, and its good. when it works. It usually starts second pull. Last week we lost power, and I couldn't get it going, 20 min of fiddling and pulling and it never started, worthless. I tried it 3 days later, nothing different and it fired up right away... so its not reliable.

I need a new generator. Requirements are that it has wheels (The wife cant move a hand carry them easily), and it needs push button start (My Wife cant pull start the generators easily, she has back issues). I need it to be gas powered, I don't have natural gas service. I don't have a propane tank either. Right now I am content to drag extension cords around, I don't want to pay for an electrician come in and redo the breaker box, would have to upgrade box. That might happen long term, but not yet. Power wise, I am fine with 2000 running watts, I just need it to reliably start.... that's the problem with the current one.

Amazon/homedepot/lowes seem to have a lot of these, but was looking for comments here if anyone had experience.

Anything with a Honda engine is good. Smaller ones (2000 watt) do not seem to be push button start or have wheels but I am sure you could find a little cart for it.

Do you need to run anything on 220 Volt, like a well pump. The Honda 3000is has a battery and is key start. It is 3000 watts, but only 110/120 volts. It will run most appliances and lights. It will not run my gas dryer (electric motor) Propane furnace motor or washing machine motor.
You'll need a 5500 watt or larger for those and usually they are 120/220 volt.

Gas powered may the problem. Corn gas gets old quickly and gums up the fuel system. Unless you drain the carb and the fuel system after you have run it the generator will start to be a PITA to start.

I am suer you are right, I run stabilizer in the fuel and do drain the carb every time. due to the symptoms, and the fact the OEM has been replacing the poor performing units I think its a faulty design. My current generator is only getting 3 stars on amazon. that's not acceptable. lots of 120v (all I need) push button systems... Have a lot of shopping to do...

I really like my Champion 3100 inverter model. It is now available with or without wireless electric start, has wheels, and is dependable. I bought mine from Costco online and it was much cheaper and equal specs to the Honda equivalent. I've had Champions before and have always been very happy as have the reviewers at amazon and Costco with this model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZQUSAC/?tag=hearthamazon-20

We got a Honda 7000 watt at work. Fuel injected, liquid cooled, and very quiet. It's on wheels. Very expensive, but very well built.

We got a Honda 7000 watt at work. Fuel injected, liquid cooled, and very quiet. It's on wheels. Very expensive, but very well built.

That bigger, and even the smaller 4500? Watt inverter model both make 240 output to easily backfeed your panel.

I like that champion, probably would get it today if I had nothing. but I already have an inverter generator, which usually starts....

I am thinking about getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HSP7EK/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Champion Power Equipment 46539 3500 Watt RV Ready Portable Generator with Wireless Remote Start.

Its about $420.

That would give me an ok generator the wife could use, and an inverter generator which is its backup, assuming it starts... only had one or two no-starts for it, which is too many. but having 2 generators should solve that. Maybe I can get a little more reliability out of a traditional generator....

I like that champion, probably would get it today if I had nothing. but I already have an inverter generator, which usually starts....

I am thinking about getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HSP7EK/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Champion Power Equipment 46539 3500 Watt RV Ready Portable Generator with Wireless Remote Start.

Its about $420.

That would give me an ok generator the wife could use, and an inverter generator which is its backup, assuming it starts... only had one or two no-starts for it, which is too many. but having 2 generators should solve that. Maybe I can get a little more reliability out of a traditional generator....

So I owned that generator for many years (the non estart version) and it is a pretty good generator with a very long runtime but with poor voltage regulation and much louder than the inverter version. There are no drawbacks to an inverter generator other than higher cost. Why don't you want two inverter generators? Or at least one that is dependable? I see no reason to ever buy a non-inverter generator other than price.

Don't get me wrong, I agree an inverter generator is definitely better. But I would prefer to save $600 here. Since my existing inverter generator is still the "primary" backup, and this one is likely only to be used when I am not home, so that my wife can get it going. If money wasn't an object, I would definitely get the push button start champion inverter. But money is a factor here, that is why I am looking at this. After all, how many generators do I need....

After all, how many generators do I need....

Just one good genny is all you need. That is, unless you have a desire to occasionally power a large load like a water heater or well pump but want to usually run a fuel sipper for lights/refer/etc.

I understand saving cash. The Champion line is multiples cheaper than the Honda/Yamaha equivalents so you're already saving a lot.