Need a less noisy room fan stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 10, 2018
Central NH
I've been using a Castel Serenity stove for 4 years now. Functions great, but the room heating blower on it is too loud.
When in operation, it has a whistling tone, and is very annoying. Even in slow mode.
Would like to replace with a stove that has a quiet room fan / blower. I'm only heating a 1500 sq foot house.

Reactions: EdNilsson77
I have yet to find a quiet fan for a stove. Not sure if it would work for you, but I have used a box fan to move air by my stove. Using one on low/med is far less noisy.

Suggest a wood stove with no fan !
Fan noise is inherent with any pellet stove
any fan for that matter

At least one of the Harman stoves has a quiet mode you can set it in. It had touchscreen controls, so it wasn't anything I wanted, but it did get a lot quieter in the showroom when he put it in that mode.

With a forced exhaust, even if your room fan is totally off you're not going to have a quiet stove. Like someone else said, try a wood stove with no fans.

When I had a wood stove I had a shelf in the corner behind the stove, just big enough for a pedestal fan. That was barely noticeable, much quieter than the pellet stove fans.

I hope my blower on my stove is quiet when I have it on--fan noises are annoying to say the least..feel for you..clancey

Unless it becomes an overwhelming noise level it just becomes a white noise
and be just part of the background noise Takes a few days to get used to it

With all the other noise in my house that's good to know...I was thinking about putting a small tv in the stove porch and I am just hoping its not louder than the tv. When I bought my stove this was extra this blower and I do not need it on to run the wood stove which is good in case the grid goes down or something and I was not going to get it but the salesperson told me that it would be better for my installer to hook up now rather than trying to buy the blower later and there is a real long name to it as well. I guess I could get other blowers but wanted one with my stove in the same year...I am not very good at these things and ignorant for this is my very first wood stove and it will be lite at the end of Sept..----frightful for me---lol thanks..clancey

Unless it becomes an overwhelming noise level it just becomes a white noise
and be just part of the background noise Takes a few days to get used to it

I actually like the white noise and the tinking of the falling pellets. I find it relaxing. But that’s just me.

Reactions: johneh
In a way it adds to the environment and I leave the radio on low during the day and one gets used to it like you say..clancey

Thanks all. Yes I had a wood stove with fan on small table for 35+ years. Used to the quiet of it.
Pellet stove is more convenient now, no more cutting and stacking. If I disable internal fan, and
use external table top fan, will that work ? Over heat the burner box ?

Thanks all. Yes I had a wood stove with fan on small table for 35+ years. Used to the quiet of it.
Pellet stove is more convenient now, no more cutting and stacking. If I disable internal fan, and

You would overheat the stove. Pellet stove needs the air blowing through the heat exchanger.

There are two fans in a pellet stove.... one to blow the exhaust out of the chimney while providing air to the fire so that it will burn, and another fan to distribute the heat into the room from the stove. You can probably control how loud the room fan is, but the other fan needs to run to keep the fire burning and the smoke going out.

You should go to a showroom and listen to the stoves they have sitting there and adjust the room fan to different levels so you can hear it for yourself.

It's not like a shrieking banshee in your living room.... it's just a fan...

Regarding fan noise, is it a new stove? If not a new stove, was it always that way? If not a new stove, the fan could be getting worn out. Even if the stove is new, you may be able to quiet the fan down with some judiciously applied pieces of sound insulation around its housing and/or improving how solidly it’s mounted. When I first got my (well used) St Croix Hastings both fans were pretty darn noisy. I ended up replacing both and also did those things I mentioned above and it made a HUGE difference in sound.

Ken

Bottom line is a pellet stove will always make noise. Even the best will be louder than a woodstove without a blower and you are required to use two blowers plus a feed auger or two on a pellet stove.

Yeah there is one or two goofy non electric pellet stoves out there but 99%.

• Wow
Reactions: SidecarFlip