Need a liner, best place to buy ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
last two liners I bought I got from a website called Chimney Liner Depot. They seem to be gone. Just moved into a new house and need a liner for my stove to go up the existing 12” chimney.

There are many sources like Rockford, ChimneySweepOnline, Woodlands, etc..

Should I go double ply or single ? I remember in my old house I bought the more expensive one that looked like truck flex pipe and it came apart when I cleaned it with a plastic brush. I replaced it with a cheaper one and seemed to be just as good although thinner.

You’re probably talking about smooth wall flex, there. It has a spiral of flat metal inside the flex liner, and in theory collects less creosote, but several have had the same problem you did. I think that penetrating the liner with screws increases the likelihood of unraveling, but I could be wrong on that.

@webby3650 and @bholler both do a lot of installs, and could probably give you better advice on that, but most here just use regular 6” flex, often with a blanket wrapper for best performance on a high efficiency stove.

On that important and related subject, what stove is this going on?

You’re probably talking about smooth wall flex, there. It has a spiral of flat metal inside the flex liner, and in theory collects less creosote, but several have had the same problem you did. I think that penetrating the liner with screws increases the likelihood of unraveling, but I could be wrong on that.

@webby3650 and @bholler both do a lot of installs, and could probably give you better advice on that, but most here just use regular 6” flex, often with a blanket wrapper for best performance on a high efficiency stove.

On that important and related subject, what stove is this going on?
Jotul Oslo think its an F600? Its a big stove and the next issue we wrested with was where to put it in the new house. The old house we had it up thru the chimney for the fireplace in the family room but this house is much smaller and the family room is half the size and our old family room had cathedral celings so we have concerns this stove will bake us out of the room. We considered putting it in the basement at the new house but after reading numerous threads on this site we decided it would not be worth it. I am getting oil and thise trips down the stairs.....plus then the cost off adding a chimey for it . So we are just going to install it in our family room and vent via chimney for the fireplace like we did before and set up a few fans to hopefully move the heat around. If not next season I’ll get a smaller stove and move the jotul out to the barn. There is already piping for it.

Don't get 2 ply...that stuff has issues.
Single ply is fine, you can go with heavy duty single ply if you'd rather, but it all has to meet the same regs, so...

The Oslo is the F500, the F600 used to be called the Firelight. The Oslo has the side door on the left, the F600 is on the right. Go with a single-wall, heavy-duty liner for best durability.