Need a quick and dirty fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Other than advantage of the tax credit, does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the gap at the flue collar? It is easily half an inch.

Attachments

• warped front.jpg
    warped front.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 351
  • warped-top.jpg
    warped-top.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 320
You're right. The quickest and best fix is to replace the old dragon, right?

It almost looks like the old flue collar has burned out. What is filling the gap now? Is that gasket material?

PS: I lightened up one of the shots for you.

It is that silver rope gasket. So, the gap is even bigger. Quickest and best won't be on the table until the estate is settled. That will obviously be a large steel catalytic solution ;-)

Is it a steel piece? If it can be removed it may be possible to get it welded or even a new one made up

Furnace cement for a cheap quick temp fix.

When I read the title I thought duct tape. Since it's on a stove I vote for furnace cement until a replacement shows up.

Matt

If you want to continue throwing out good firewood burning that thing, then put some furnace cement around it and call 'er good. If you wanna get serious, you gotta get a stove made during this century, my man. maybe a BK :lol:

I'd pop-rivet a strip of sheet metal skirt on the bottom and furnace cement up the smaller gaps.

So, the gap seems a bit big for furnace cement. The consensus seems to be that a little sheet metal and some furnace cement is the quick and dirty solution until a big steel catalytic solution with a new liner and removing the 30" birch that is covering the top comes along? How heavy does the metal need to be that I pop rivet or weld?

I would think anything equal to stove pipe thickness would suit me, If you use rivets make sure they are steel and not aluminum

I would use non-galvanized 24 gauge. Get a short length of 8" black stove pipe and cut it up.

Muchos. I'll pop rivet the patch, seal it up with cement and cut back that birch the next time I'm up there. Then maybe burn a load of pine to clean out the chimney.

Incidentally, how dangerous is it to leave it the way it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.