Need a recommendation for a chimney sweep brush.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bruh44

Mar 6, 2020
North Carolina
I’ve got a 8”, 25’ chimney. I was looking at the rutland wire brush with extension polls. I think it might be better to get one that I can attach to my drill, not sure though. I do have to access from the roof and push all the crap down into my stove. It’s a strait shot down to my Buck 91. I’m hoping I can take enough out of the inside of it to be able to get the creosote to fall right into it so I can scoop and vacuum it out.
Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I use a knock-off soot eater with my corded 1/2 drill. I go in the stove from the bottom. I take the stove door off, take the baffle out, and drape an old blanket over the front. No need to go up on the roof. It is great. Mine is about 23' or so tall.

Use a poly brush or soot eater. I sweep from the roof (easy access) With a poly brush and rods.

I also use a sooteater and feed it from the bottom - in my experience, it's much easier than cleaning from the top (but that might be because I'm a relatively short person!). I do use a brush on my chimney cap though.

I've been using a round wire chimney brush on fiberglass poles from the top for years on 2 different houses. I clean straight down into my stove then vacum it out when done.

I got a cheaper one on ebay...it was 30 bucks I think. I clean from the bottom up, and it all falls to the ground out of the clean out. I dont worry about the mess....a rain or two flushes it away.

I’ve got a 8”, 25’ chimney. I was looking at the rutland wire brush with extension polls. I think it might be better to get one that I can attach to my drill, not sure though. I do have to access from the roof and push all the crap down into my stove. It’s a strait shot down to my Buck 91. I’m hoping I can take enough out of the inside of it to be able to get the creosote to fall right into it so I can scoop and vacuum it out.
Any recommendations?
We have both but have been using the SootEater when I clean the chimney.