Need a solution for a large replacement stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ElkMtnMan

Oct 29, 2019
Elk Mountain, Wyoming
My first post. I live at 7200 feet near the part of I80 that often get shut down because of bad weather. Temps go below zero and winds usually below 100mph. Have heated 2500 square feet 24 years, 7.5 cords/yr lodgepole with an old Country Comfort CC800 in a ground level basement, about 24/7 8 months/yr. Have to clean my chimney every two weeks. Logs are cut 19.2" (8' log divided into 5) up to 11" diameter, MC 5%-10%. Been thinking replacing with BK1107 or BK40. I can get runs of up to 10-12 hours on low with the CC. It smoulders alot. That is why lots of creosote. When it is cold, the CC and put out lots of radiant and convective heat. Two floor fans and open stairway bring heat upstairs.

Examining the manuals shows the BK40 a bit smaller and not quite the range spread of BTUs as the BK1107 in EPA tests Long run times are desirable as I am gone up to 18 hours. The BK1107 would accommodate my style of logging. I could stuff about 60 lbs lodgepole into the BK1107. My my measurements on a BK1107 and estimates on a BK40, I think I can stuff the BK40 with 45 lbs lodgepole for a long burn. The manuals say bigger but I figure fireboxes for the BK1107 at 4.0cf and BK40 at 3.5cf. Logs will need to be no larger than 9.75" and 9.5" respectively.

The BK1107 should be able to heat the house. Looked at the PE Summit, lots of BTUs but burn times will be short. The BK40 seems between the BK1107 and the KE34 Princess.

BK thinks I will have problems with the BK1107. I am trying to figure out if my draft is sufficient. I think it will be when outside is cold. I think any stove in my house at 45 deg outside and 45mph winds give problems. At those conditions, the cat may not work so I may just have to let the fire go during those times.

Seems like stoves get smaller to meet the EPA standards. The 1107 may be my last change to keep my house warm with a new stove and a whole lot less chimney cleaning. Still wondering if it can produce the output of my old smoke dragon. Running the math, I think it can. I think the BK40 may not be able to keep up on the cold days. I have to feed lots to keep upstairs at 70deg. But then I turn down at night so I can sleep. 63-65 deg in morning and takes a while to warm the house up. I like warm! Any Alaska folks running the BK1107 or older with 2500sf? At 20-30 deg, smouldering will be king.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
It might be worth investing in a simple manometer or Magnehelic to measure draft on the current setup.

Are you splitting those rounds or burning 11" diameter rounds. How are you measuring moisture content? On the end grain or on the freshly exposed face after splitting?

There are other large stoves that might be worth considering like the Regency 5100 and the Buck 91.

If you are cleaning that often I dont think a EPA stove will make it. Vermont Elms if you can find them could be had in a long version and really cranked out the heat.