Need a wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
Found some of this on the side of the road last night. It has tight growth rings but is on the light side and has pretty soft bark what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20200207_073506.jpg
    20200207_073506.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 197
My guess was tulip poplar.

Diabel's guess of basswood also seems possible.

Last edited:
I'm going to split it this weekend, I thought poplar had wide growth rings and is much lighter colored. I'll investigate more tomorrow

I see possibly Norway maple. The snow in the bark is not helping. Split and post again.

Norway maple also seems possible. The wood does seem dark for tulip poplar.

Bark and light weight say basswood. Its fairly white and burns rather quickly.

I think I'm going with bass wood for now, I'm going out in the morning to get the big stuff I'll post the haul tomorrow!

The heart wood doesn't look green enough for poplar.
Around here, a month ago the power company sent crews around to cut down every [dead] ash tree that threatened power lines.
We have ash laying on the shoulder of the roads all over the place and people are scrounging it up for firewood.
Did you find this wood under a power line?

This is it spilt its pretty lightweight stuff. The tree itself was healthy and freshly cut

Attachments

• 20200208_102245.jpg
    20200208_102245.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 137
I will change my expert opinion from basswood to poplar.

Ash

Reactions: jackatc1
I think @nrford is kidding here! He wants to put a spin on this one.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That does look like ash! Is there a pin home in the center?

No I don't believe so. I guess I just assumed ash was a heavier. I'm thinking you where right the first time with basswood. The splits are pretty light I can only imagine when they are dry. From a little research looks like it Ash but I've never cut into either. From what I've read is ash dosent much mositure so how does the weight compare with other species while green

Last edited: