Need a work glove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Alright, fellow woodsmen...what gloves have you found to hold up well to the rigors of cutting/splitting/stacking? I have burned through two pair in the past month, and am looking for a pair that will will hold up a little better. The ones I've tried so far are Kobalt and Duralast.

The company I work for requires full PPE including glasses, gloves, safety toe boots hard hat and class 3 vest 100%. They provide gloves so I use what I get from our shop, I like these and they also have insulated ones for colder weather. They aren't the greatest but not bad, especially when I don't have to pay for them.
http://www.bakersgas.com/JOH1470.html?gclid=CIDAsJvwrdICFdRWDQodbioOMw

Reactions: Rangerbait
I get 5 packs from harbor freight for $5-$6 per pack. Leather on the business areas, canvas everywhere else. Not awesome, but I found, like you have, that I wear out even the expensive ones too fast.

A bonus when you go in that direction is it makes it much less painful to wear out one glove. Sometimes the right one wears out, sometimes the left, and you can just hang onto the remaining good one and match them up. That said, I do seem to wear out the right one about three times as often as the left.

Last edited:
Firewood processing is hard on gloves. I've done a fair bit of demo on my house and others and even that doesn't burn through gloves like firewood. Anyway, I'm with Aardvark. I buy the 10 buck bundle of three pairs of FG gloves at Depot. I'll admit, I've been known to duct tape the fingers as they wear out...

I use the Atlas knit cotton with rubber dip. They work well wet or dry, grip like spiderman, and seem to out last leather when handling lots of rough bark. Keep them stored out of the sun though, as the sun will eventually break down the rubber. The thermal version is the same, but with thicker cotton.

th?id=OIP.Mb845a0c314b40e5c22c2daf3f4cbccd9o0&w=203&h=203&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7.jpg

Reactions: Nelson and BenTN
I usually just go with cheapy leather or leather/canvas gloves that I pick up in packs at HD or Costco. I did splurge (not much, maybe $10) on one pair of thinsulate-lined leather gloves that I found make a huuuge difference when it's below freezing outside.

i use those orange coated ones from hd. they cost about 1 per pair. i was at costco recently and saw a similar type glove but black for 0.50 per pair. bought a few boxes.

I've found that my Ironclad ones wear the fastest, despite being the most expensive. I will typically use Mechanix Gloves. They are cheap and last reasonably well. I usually go through two pairs per year.

Almost bought some fancy Stihl ones a few weeks back for like $35. Luckily they didn't have my size. It was pure impulse.

Typically I use the traditional cheapo leather/fabric ones from Harbor Freight as a few others have said. The price is right!

I have chainsaw protective gloves I wear for cutting but switch out to either the rubber coated ones or the good tight fitting leather ones for moving wood. I cant work with those cheap loose fitting leather and cloth ones on I would go without gloves before using them. But what ever works for you.

I splurged a couple years ago on a nice pair of CLC gloves. They lasted deff longer but not enough to justify the price. I buy cheaper demo type gloves and also the tight fitting leather ones from Costco in a 3 pack.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I splurged a couple years ago on a nice pair of CLC gloves. They lasted deff longer but not enough to justify the price. I buy cheaper demo type gloves and also the tight fitting leather ones from Costco in a 3 pack.

Interesting, I never thought about giving the Costco ones a shot...will check them out next time I'm in there.

Think I might give the ones in the Amazon link a try...the price is certainly right! Grip is very important with wood, and the gloves that have the little grippy nubs on them always wear down so fast.

Unfortunately I think I only see them in Costco in the fall early winter, but doesn't hurt to look.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Yep I go through gloves quicker than I can believe. I've tried everything from pretty expensive leather, kevlar, etc and it seems like everything lasts about the same amount of time, regardless of price. So I've been using the cheapest I could find, the nitrile coated gloves from costco, around $1/pair. I go through the right hand gloves about 5 times as fast as the left hand ones. If anyone out there is left handed and wants to trade a bunch of righties for a bunch of lefties let me know! :)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yep I go through gloves quicker than I can believe. I've tried everything from pretty expensive leather, kevlar, etc and it seems like everything lasts about the same amount of time, regardless of price. So I've been using the cheapest I could find, the nitrile coated gloves from costco, around $1/pair. I go through the right hand gloves about 5 times as fast as the left hand ones. If anyone out there is left handed and wants to trade a bunch of righties for a bunch of lefties let me know! :)

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I have a pile of left gloves that have no mates.

Lol, I'm in the same boat. I have a pile of left gloves that have no mates.

the one time it pays to be a lefty.......j/k lol

i pick up gloves i find on the road along my 15 mile bicycle commute to work. in the summer, there's about a pair on the ground every other week. always the right size!

I buy the 12 packs of brown cotton gloves, treat them as disposable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro