Need Advice After 3 Cracked Ribs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
midwestcoast said:
Well this thread is a bit old and Twig hasn't been back since September. Hopefully s/he has found some good resources and is learning to fell or just cutting downed wood for a while, preferrably both as cutting sizeable downed stuff can have a some surprises as well.

Good catch, I didn't notice that either. Thought the post seemed familiar. Yeah, hope Twig healed up and got back into the game.

Watch this Stihl video: Chapter 5: Operating Your Chain Saw

Better yet, watch all the videos on that page. They cover the material a little slowly at times, but stick with them because there is a lot of good safety info. there.

A lot of this information is duplicated in a modern chainsaw manual. Read a manual from cover to cover, and you'll be surprised at what you'll learn.
Here's one: http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/MS34136_Manual.pdf

With equipment as potentially dangerous as a chainsaw, spending some time reading and/or watching videos is a worthwhile investment.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Brother Bart, you said to "tell a tree service that you just want a chop and drop in the woods..."

I understand drop, but what's the chop part? Is that where they go up in the bucket and remove the limbs?

Or does that mean just cut it down, no frills?

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy BB may or may not come back to this thread so I'll try to answer for him. When he spoke of chopping, I believe he was just using some slang like many of us do. Sometimes we "chop" up a tree but really we don't chop, but cut.

Now if I'm wrong, I'll have to apologize to BB but doubt that I will have to.

Thanks, Savage.

That's kinda what I thought, but then I've been known to be wrong once in a long while...

Nancy

NH_Wood said:
I found this youtube video to be very well done. There are a couple more by the same guy following the felling of the tree. Hope you like 'em! Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1d85CLDOQ&feature=related

As a green/newbie sawyer the part of the video showing him using a plunge cut bothers me. Though Ard explains briefly about reactive forces and kickback, from a beginner's viewpoint it seems a plunge cut might be pushing the envelope a touch. How would you properly go about felling this tree *without* a plunge cut?

This is a very good video even with the concern about the plunge cut.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.