Need Lots of Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dottie

Jan 11, 2008
Virginia
Hi,

I joined this forum when I got my first wood stove (Hearthstone Heritage) in Jan/08. Members really came through for me when I needed advice and encouragement, and now I can’t remember why it seemed so difficult.

I’m hoping that members can again help me as I find myself in need of lots of different advice. I have bought a small place (3.11 acres) in the country, so I think I’ll be needed some new tools that I’ve never used before. I’m under a strict budget at this time but I would like to have advice on what to get first and what the members would recommend I purchase.

I think I’ll need a chainsaw to cut up the fallen trees on the property. They are mostly junipers, but I also hope to get some fallen hardwood elsewhere for burning in the wood stove. Could I also burn the juniper if I clean the chimney regularly? I’m having the man who installed my wood stove move it to the country and clean and check the chimney before I use the stove, but a think that the chimney is lined and in good shape. I saw a lightweight 10 lb or so Echo at Home Depot for about $350 would this be a good one? It was either 18 or 20 inches.

This place is way out in the country and down a dirt road to I expect that there might be times I’m snowed in while other roads are cleared first, but I will need to get something to clear a graveled driveway of snow. The driveway isn’t terribly long, maybe 100 ft, but it has an incline; I also want to have a garden, probably not until Spring of 2012 and I’ll need a tiller to made a place for it, as well as putting up a fence to keep deer and smaller pest out. I don’t know whether to try and get a small garden tractor and buy attachments such as a snow blade or snow blower, a tiller and maybe a cart (it would probably cost a fortune) or do you think it might be better to get a rototiller, snow blower, and riding mower, which may be less expensive than the tractor and attachments. Please give me your ideas and which brand or sizes to consider.

I would be grateful for your suggestions. I also must confess that in addition to all this being new to me, that I’m a 66 year old woman, so you can if you can give advice tailored to this it would be good (except, not to do it!). I might also add I’m pretty determined, resourceful, and used to taking care of myself and I do all the inside and outside work around the house, but I obviously don’t have the strength or stamina of a young man, so I might need workarounds.

Thank you all in advance.

Dottie

Hi Dottie -

Welcome!

You might check out the local chainsaw store. They will have saws you can handle and may well have some used saws. Echo is a pretty decent saw.

You might check in with any neighbors. Rototilling might be a good one to hire done; one less machine to tamper with.

A modern stove will not have ill effects from softwood as long as it's seasoned. I would be suprized if there was a need for more cleaning.

ATB,
Mike

Dottie said:
Hi,

I joined this forum when I got my first wood stove (Hearthstone Heritage) in Jan/08. Members really came through for me when I needed advice and encouragement, and now I can’t remember why it seemed so difficult.

I’m hoping that members can again help me as I find myself in need of lots of different advice. I have bought a small place (3.11 acres) in the country, so I think I’ll be needed some new tools that I’ve never used before. I’m under a strict budget at this time but I would like to have advice on what to get first and what the members would recommend I purchase.

I think I’ll need a chainsaw to cut up the fallen trees on the property. They are mostly junipers, but I also hope to get some fallen hardwood elsewhere for burning in the wood stove. Could I also burn the juniper if I clean the chimney regularly? I’m having the man who installed my wood stove move it to the country and clean and check the chimney before I use the stove, but a think that the chimney is lined and in good shape. I saw a lightweight 10 lb or so Echo at Home Depot for about $350 would this be a good one? It was either 18 or 20 inches.

This place is way out in the country and down a dirt road to I expect that there might be times I’m snowed in while other roads are cleared first, but I will need to get something to clear a graveled driveway of snow. The driveway isn’t terribly long, maybe 100 ft, but it has an incline; I also want to have a garden, probably not until Spring of 2012 and I’ll need a tiller to made a place for it, as well as putting up a fence to keep deer and smaller pest out. I don’t know whether to try and get a small garden tractor and buy attachments such as a snow blade or snow blower, a tiller and maybe a cart (it would probably cost a fortune) or do you think it might be better to get a rototiller, snow blower, and riding mower, which may be less expensive than the tractor and attachments. Please give me your ideas and which brand or sizes to consider.

I would be grateful for your suggestions. I also must confess that in addition to all this being new to me, that I’m a 66 year old woman, so you can if you can give advice tailored to this it would be good (except, not to do it!). I might also add I’m pretty determined, resourceful, and used to taking care of myself and I do all the inside and outside work around the house, but I obviously don’t have the strength or stamina of a young man, so I might need workarounds.

Thank you all in advance.

Dottie

It sounds like you are really excited, as you should be, with any new endeavor but go slow. Try to spend only on the necessities and take a full year before you load yourself with items that you may never use. Get involved with the towns people, get to know your neighbors. Many will be glad to help out if you can reciprocate in some way, often not with money. Plowing your driveway is no big deal if you are flexible and don't need it done right away. Equipment not only cost but there is upkeep, maintenance, space to store it, etc. Try to stay simple and enjoy yourself as you go. Create a few raised bed gardens, enough for yourself and the critters. See how that goes. Deer need 7 ft. fences which in the end only keeps the gardener out. See how your neighbors handle the various problems. Many home gardeners are more than happy to share their summer bounty if you maybe provide home baked goodies or flowers or ... I'm sure that at 66 you can again see the tide changing back to people helping each other as it was after WW2. It's really an exiting time, you just have to reach out and join the rest of us as you did on this forum. Best of luck and be safe.
Ed

Hi - On fencing the Garden: My former wife was at war with the rabbits. She found chicken wire, let into the ground about 3-4" and 3' high worked pretty well. Deer are tougher. A smallish area can be protected reasonably well with a single strand of electric wire that zig-zags above the most attractive plants when they are young. Some things like sweetcorn are pretty hard to protect. A $20 BB gun from Walmart helps! Planting a night row of Marigolds around smaller gardens also helped. Planting more is also a way to ensure there will be enough for you in the end.

Ed has excellent advise above. My former wife was from New York - a real city girl. She was enthusiastic and folks really helped her understand once she showed some interest. When I was a young man I swapped a lot of fish for baked goods with the nieghbor ladies. Now I still change light bulbs and fix things and they still bake for me. They're slowwing up a bit as they are in their 90s now.

Hi Dottie.

If your budget is around $350 or so, I would head down to my local stihl dealer and have them show you a few of the Easy Start chainsaw models. Here is a link to the 211. I'm a chainsaw enthusiast and although I haven't run this model, the people I have talked to that have or own the saw, love it. I'd imagine with a 16" bar, it would certainly handle your needs. Also, if you buy from a local dealer, they will be there for future service and questions

http://www.stihldealer.net/productd...0_14aeab8cbd79-cmp-DEF-vcd-_ddjeeeeerara.aspx

Good luck, and please do not hesitate to ask more questions if you like.

I think as a 66 yo female you have to choose your battles. Having the driveway plowed during snow storms is probably a good idea, if you get a lot of snow. Having a snow dirt blade on on a garden tractor may make some sense until you have to change it to the mowing deck (I have trouble with mine, its heavy). Look for a local landscaper with all the equipment and for a good relationship so you can call him when you need, tilling, plowing, etc.
If you are determined, get a mantis type tiller (its very small), a self propelled snow blower, and a lawn tractor with a mower and a pull behind cart to haul wood.
Do you anticipate splitting the wood yourself?

Hello Dottie,

Congrats on getting some land! That's great. Where in Virginia are you?

I agree with some of the other advice. I would rent or borrow a tiller, or maybe a neighbor would even do the tilling for you. for just a small garden I don't think buying one and storing it all the time is justified.

Also, I highly recommend finding a good chainsaw dealer near you, and getting their advice on a good quality but light saw. I have a good relationship with the Stihl dealer in town and they have been incredibly helpful. Get a saw that will reliably start easily. Last year when we bought a weedeater, we went in to the stihl dealer and they let my wife try a few models to see which one she could easily start.

180,211,250 easy start. Pick them up and see how they feel...Dont forget PPE!

Assuming you can bake and/or cook, that's your workaround. There is only one way more effective at getting healthy young men to come around and flex their muscles . . .but you didn't say if you had a daughter.

Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna...all good brands. Whichever you buy, the key is to have a dealer that services it nearby. Sooner or later, you'll need advice, parts, repair, tune-up, whatever. And if you buy your new saw from that dealer, they'll be much more interested in you.

Thank you all for the good advice. I’ll try and find the Stihl dealer before I get a chainsaw, but it’s nice to know that the Echo is ok as well. If I can find someone to do the driveway, it would be great, but as I’m still working and probably will be for a couple of years, I was thinking that there might be times that I’d have to get out before I can get someone to plow and so I appreciate the alternate advice on equipment. I'm very happy to hear about being able to burn some of the softwood that laying around. One good thing about the setup at the new house is that the chimneys really high like my old house and I think I can get my 18 year old grandson to sweep it, if I can catch him unawares sometime.

About the fence, I'm sure it will be needed in order to get anything out of a garden. I spotted a deer path going directly by the place where I want to put a vegetable garden (and maybe fence in some small fruit trees and berries), so it will be kind of like opening a McDonald's next to a high school as far as the location goes, but it’s the sunniest place. I really haven't planned on putting a garden in this spring, although I’m eager to, I thought it might be a good idea to plow where I want it to go and plant a green crop to till under next spring in order to get the ground in better shape.

I also think it's really good advice not to "overspend" or "over purchase", and as I’m not sure yet on what sort of assistance and advice is available, I’ll use some time in finding out, researching on the internet and looking through the “Valley Traderâ€. The house seems really isolated in the summer, but since the leaves have fallen I can see a house across the road.

In answer to Flint, the new house is in the southern part of the northernmost county in Virginia (Frederick). It's really nice and quiet, and you might see a dozen cars go by, if you are paying attention. To SmokinJay, is PPE Personal Protective Equipment? If so, what do you recommend?

In general interest, I am an excellent cook and baker, but alas, no available daughters.

Thanks.

Dottie

If you were closer to us I would be glad to lend a hand to get you started....'cause I love pies! :)

We have a lot of rabbits and deer, I fenced in my garden using galvanized stuff...the kind that has smaller rectangles at the bottom but they get larger at the top. This combined with chicken wire dug into the ground all the way around has kept critters out as long as I remember to close the garden gate behind me! It's an initial expense and a bit of work.
Check your local Craigs List and see if you have a local Freecycle...you may find fencing to suit your needs. I too would hire somebody for your initial tilling/prep and would consider making raised beds in your garden....very easy to take care of with just a shovel & rake.

My PPE for tree cutting is to be sure you have eye and ear protection (I use a helmet w/ear muffs and face guard...but I spend a lot of time in very wooded areas)along with a pair of chainsaw chaps and good boots(preferably steel toe). I also need a good pair of gloves . Again, an initial expense but cheap compared to possible accidents.

I strongly suggest a Stihl, if you really need a chainsaw.

Who is going to split your wood for you? How much wood do you anticipate burning each year? How long do you think you'll be able to do all of this yourself? Have you handled and worked with a chainsaw before? They are great tools but are inherently dangerous even to old pros. I admire you for wanting to try but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to buy your wood already cut and split and stacked and save your labors for your gardening.

That's exactly what I would advise my Mom.

Congrats on the new place. We've been going through the similar thing here, new property, lot more land, somewhat isolated, big driveway.

Some thoughts:

1) Chainsaw- a novice to this myself. First question: how much experience do you have with one? My second question is a little more delicate... apologize if it doesn't come out as such... Have you handled some of the saws and is there a weight that you're more comfortable with? I'm an average-smaller sized guy with little chainsaw experience so I ended up buying a high end/pro series "small" saw (the stihl 260 pro) that weighed less and would be easier to handle. At the same time, people told me that with proper care, saw should last me 10-20 years and probably handle all the wood i need for my own house. Now, is it the fastest and most powerful? no... but i can always upgrade later to a bigger saw and keep the 260 for smaller jobs, limbing, etc. Got a very gently used 260 pro at the local stihl dealer for $325, still has about 2 months left on warranty.

2) Snow removal for the driveway... a very good question, recently struggled with this myself. I have a ~400' driveway, mainly level but slopes on either side that could make plowing a problem. I ended up getting a big walk behind snowblower and have been very happy with it. Here are the options as i see them, hopefully wiser users can weigh in on the options for us, with the big question as to how each of these will impact a gravel drive:
a) Pay somebody to plow. Depending on the property, may still need small blower/shovel, etc to clear. Hit or miss on reliability and cost (depending on snowfall)
b) Snowblower/snowthrower. Pros: lower cost, reliability (it's all on you). Cons: Time, not sure what it'll do to the gravel. (Btw, i can clear my drive in 50-60 minutes w/ even the heaviest snow this way)
c) Tractor with snowthower attachment or plow: Pros: Faster(somewhat), less effort, tractor can be used for other things (tilling, etc). Cons: Cost, storage size (need a good shed/spot in garage), time needed start/end of season to mount attachments, same concerns about effects on gravel
d) ATV or XUV with plow blade. Pros: can be used for other things (pulling in logs from property, etc), Cons: Cost?, unsure how it'll do on grade even with chains and 4x4
e) do you have a pick up truck? That was one of our first purchases upon getting out here... lotsa Home Depot runs, etc. If the snowblower ever dies, might just get a plow for the truck (although topography of property make plowing tricky). Picked up a used f150 for $3500. There are cheaper beater trucks to be had out there... went went a little higher b/c it's a back up commuter vehicle and needed some more reliability.
Bottom line: going used on any of these may be the way to go... or, buy a tractor and gradually get attachments used off of CL, etc. For short term, you can go with plow option and hope it saves money (or less expensive snowthrower... i got a 30", 11hp cub cadet used for $425 from the local sears dealer to see how things are gonna go. probably see a new one in the next 3-4 years unless i get sick of it. Unfortunately, probably won't see used snowthrowers at reasonable price for 8-10 months given this winter)

3) Tilling issue. How much space do you see tilling for the garden? If you're not in a hurry, may have some time to think about this. Tractor with variety of attachments may be the way to go... seems costly but ultimately, most $$ will also give you most utility. Also... you can rent a decent rototiller for < $100/day.

Other things to consider:

1) Power- how often do you have to worry about power outages? Especially given this winter but in general? One of the reasons we bought this house was that it came with a propane generator. Purchasing a generator would likely be at the top of my list... probably above everything but the chainsaw.

Thanks again for your advice. I had thought about the helmet, but not the face guard. I'm sure that the ear plugs would have come to me as I hate noise (one of my main reasons for moving). Do you think that protective mesh or whatever they are chaps/apron things are necessary and steel toed boots? I don't intent to actually fell big trees, just get logs off the ground. I did buy a fiskars splitting axe and have split some wood, but not lots, just the pieces I buy are too big. As far as eye protection goes, I wear glasses (plastic), and find that trying to wear goggles just doesn't work for me, any suggestions about that?

Right now I only burn about 4 cords a year. I don't know how much I'll burn in the new house, its laid out differently so it may not be as easy to heat. I do have a man who has been selling me wood since I got the wood stove, and I'll probably still use him, but I still want to be able to get the other wood tidied away, and it's sure tempting to see wood that's going to waste beside the road. As to the other question, I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up, but I've always figured the money I save now by doing it myself, I'll have for later when I can't and will have to hire someone to do it for me. Hope that's a sound way of thinking. So far I've managed most things, but I'll stop if I think I'll get hurt or if I wear out.

As for the fencing, since there is no internet out there but satellite, which is nowhere nearly as fast as the internet available in town, I've been trying to watch gardeners on the internet like mad, to see their fencing. What you say about fencing sounds like a good idea. It will be a real chore to put in fence posts, etc. and that's something I will get help doing. It seems very expensive and hard to fence everything in with bunny fence on the bottom and deer fence on top, but it would be heartbreaking to see your nice little plants and trees destroyed. There is a little nursery on the way to my house that raises daylillies and they seem to just have a strand of electric fence around them, I don't know if that means that the deer aren't too bad, deer don't like daylillies, or they don't need the money. Maybe I'll stop and see if it's working for them when they open in the Spring. I think I'll try what you say and put a few raised beds and see how many little visitors I have. I know there are some, I have a small dog and her nose goes straight for the ground when we are up there and she circles all over the place. So far, the only thing she's found is a kitten up a very tall tree which I rescued and brought home. One of my other concerns is about her getting bitten by a poisonous snake... then I thought a more likely worry is her getting sprayed by a skunk and still wanting to sleep with me, (any "de-skunking" remedies would be most welcome!).

Thanks again.

Dottie

Dottie-

well, i can give some advice on the dog side (i am a veterinarian):

1) Skunks- there are a variety of home remedies involving tomato, baking soda, dawn, etc. That being said, there are some products you can buy at your vet or in pet stores. the one i swear by is something called "Skunk-off". there's 2 products: 1 is a shampoo for bathing after exposure and the other is liquid "neutralizer" that is ideal if you catch it immediately afterwards. Helps prevent the oils from seeping in and binding making subsequent bathing much easier. I usually have 1-2 bottles of both on hand at all times.

2) Poisonous snakes- not too much to contribute here. In 15 yrs in the field working in Michigan and Connecticut, have only seen 2-3 dogs bitten, all in michigan by a "mild" rattlesnake. And all those were at a large referral hospital. That being said, i can't speak for your area and might be worth talking to the local vets about.

3) Bigger issue for small dog in suburban/rural setting: Coyotes. These beasts are getting ballsier everyday in some areas and likely responsible for many missing cats in a lot of areas and numerous attacks on dogs. They like to pack hunt and not fight fair so just be really careful. Night/dusk was usually the biggest concerns but day time attacks are unfortunately increasing.

Hydrogen Peroxide will quash skunk smell. I keep some extra handy since my dog wants to 'play' with skinks.

RE: goggles. I find that those big ugly sun shades you get from your eye doctor work great. They are made to go over other eyeglasses and they provide good, wrap around protection. They're cheap, too.

When I'm not using hardhat/faceshield combo,I wear these - either clear or black,depending on weather conditions.They are OSHA approved,impact resistant & $4 each at local Contractor's supply company.Slips right over my eyeglasses,the dark ones I use as sunglasses when not working also.Employers around here use to give away a couple pair of this model,but changed to a different style with smaller frames,so they wont work for those who wear eyeglasses.

http://www.uvex.us/products.aspx#/product=560&folder=98

Thank you all for your great answers and advice, I am so pleased to find that people still take the time out of their busy days to help others.

Dottie

I also have used Skunk Off and it does work, but it's not exactly cheap. Hydrogen peroxide is supposed to work too but never tried it. If you go w/raised beds you won't regret it! Much easier to work the soil each year and the soil actually warms up a bit faster in the spring too. Save yourself some energy and mulch heavily...keeps weeds down and helps with dry soil...also if your mulch decomposes it will amend the soil. Deer don't like day lillies...but they will love your garden if they get into it! The nice thing about the fencing is you can plant climbing flowers around your garden. Each year our morning glories cover the wire fence to the point you don't even know the fence is there. You may also want to consider planting things that help repel rabbits around the fence, such as marigolds, etc.

All this garden talk has me getting spring fever now!

My mom is on her own and we try to keep it simple. Electric chainsaw, clippers, electric start self propelled lightweight mower, light electric snow blower, plowed in the winter, potted garden, etc. My siblings and I help out with the bigger projects that require bigger equipment and heavy lifting. Equipment, especially as it gets bigger and older, is both expensive and a liability.

Roto-tiller
I have a medium sized one. (troy bilt pony)
It will not bust up sod.
I've borrowed a big troy bilt horse to bust up sod but I couldn't justify the expense of it for the smallish gardens I have.

Even the pony requires a bit of muscle to maneuver. ( the horse is actually easier)

I've tried a couple raised beds and they are nice for small.
Watermelons/ pumpkins and corn maybe not so great.

I use leaves for mulch and only roto till in the Spring to mix in compost and some manure if I get some - and even then as lightly as possible. No more tilling or scything to battle weeds for me. Tons of leaves , rake them to the side the second year, put them back and the third year till them under and start over. I'm not tilling or weeding much any more.

I only get deer in the Winter or when thier food supply gets short elsewhere.
I've lost melons to them so the Winter Squash gets picked when they are ready, rather than left in the open.
Amazing how those little bunnies will find the smallest of holes in a fence, jump up and squeeze through for the good eating on the other side. I've seen them go through a hole two feet up ( footprints in snow) so fence with smaller openings on just the bottom isn't great and doesn't always keep little ones out. I've had to add chicken wire to "rabbit " fence.

I have the Mantis tiller. Love it. Light weight and does a great job. My dad recently bought the electric version as found it to be fine, plenty of power and his gardens were close enough to a power source. He found (and I am too) that having a gas tiller that you use 1/2 times a year is hard to keep running (carb issues).

I'm sure it will be a battle of wits with the critters and along with most I'll guess I'll just have to keep trying until I get the combination that works. I looked at the Mantis tillers on the internet and they sure have some attractive options. I don't ever think that electric has the power of gas, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, they look tricky to handle with no wheels, I would think with tillers with wheels, at least the ones with rear tines, that you could sort of uptilt them if the going got rough. I'm just speculating since I've never used any tiller.

I was watching an interesting video on youtube and the woman was making what she called a lasagne garden bed. She put in a hefty layer of newspaper, wet it, a layer of straw or other organic matter, and then compost type stuff from a bag. She claimed that by the following year you didn't have to till, just plant. That sounds way too easy, but maybe like the leaf mulch it would work.

Anyway, thank you so much for your answers. I really enjoy reading them.

Dottie

Status
Not open for further replies.