Need Advice - Bigger Stove or Replace Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KWG88

Dec 6, 2013
Chemainus, BC Canada
Hello All,

Just purchased a house that's aprox 2,500 sq ft. It's a late 40's wood frame, cement foundation. Need some advice on what would be more efficient cost/ heat wise.

The basement which is 950 sq ft unfinished is currently being heated by an Enviro 1000, 1.7 cu ft (32,700 BTU).

The upstairs is being heated by an Enviro Meridian Pellet Insert (45,000 BTU), there are another 2 rooms on the third floor that are unheated.

I have electric baseboard heat for insurance purposes but dread turning them on. Currently the basement gets to a comfortable level while burning. Problem is I have a 8 -5 job and am not home to re fuel the fire which only has a 4-5 hr burn. The pellet stove can't heat the upstairs for the life of it and is burning through one $6 bag of pellets per day to still be cold in 3 of the 5 rooms. It's been in the -5 to -10C range for the last week.

The basement has the old oil furnace blower and duct work still intact and fan still works. It's also less then 6ft from the stove.

I'm considering either increasing the size of the basement stove to a PE 27 (72,000 BTU) or summit (99,000 BTU) potentially tying it into the duct work down the road, or ripping out the insert and replacing it with the NEO 1.6 insert (70,000 BTU). Any advice, experience or suggestions?

Thanks,

We are damn cold this week, this is a chilly system. If you need a ductwork tie-in you need a furnace not a wood stove. Based on your needs get a Summit to replace the pellet stove or consider a Blaze King stove for it's mch longer burn time. A BK Princess or King would be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.