Need Advice for Cutting a Downed Tree that's Higher than Me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
Behind my property is a nice looking maple tree that was downed by beavers about one year ago. It looks to be in very good condition and I want to cut it for fire wood. The stump where the beavers chewed it is easy to walk to, but it's on an elevated bank above a very shallow and small creek-fed puddle (basically). The tree fell down into this area, resting horizontally on a couple of its branches. If I wanted to saw there, I'd have to stand in the water and hold the saw above my head, which is unsafe. Cutting from where the tree fell still attached to its stump would be much safer and more conventional, but would the saw get pinched? Ideally, I'd like to free the tree from here and let it fall or roll freely to where I can cut it safely. Any advice?

Thanks very much.

without pics is tuff but if you want to keep your saw from pinching use a wedge

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Behind my property is a nice looking maple tree that was downed by beavers about one year ago. It looks to be in very good condition and I want to cut it for fire wood. The stump where the beavers chewed it is easy to walk to, but it's on an elevated bank above a very shallow and small creek-fed puddle (basically). The tree fell down into this area, resting horizontally on a couple of its branches. If I wanted to saw there, I'd have to stand in the water and hold the saw above my head, which is unsafe. Cutting from where the tree fell still attached to its stump would be much safer and more conventional, but would the saw get pinched? Ideally, I'd like to free the tree from here and let it fall or roll freely to where I can cut it safely. Any advice?

Thanks very much.

Here's my idea's
1-Don't stand in water
2- Don't cut over your head!!!!!!
3-Post picture
4-Than wait- you will get correct advise

Good question, Redd. Sounds like treatment and counseling might be a better approach. Set down the chainsaw. We're here to help.

Actually it doesn't sound bad at all to me. We cut along the creek every year so have to contend with it but the only problem we have is if the water is high or there is snow on the slope. I have two tops yet from last year that need to get cut up but unless things change they won't get cut again this year unless we wait for spring; usually that is too late.

Most trees beavers cut are not that large. As you are cutting, watch the log where you have cut. At the slightest movement (pinch), get that saw out. Then cut it from the bottom to finish the job. Let that sucker roll down so you don't have to cut while standing on sloping ground if possible. I'd still like to see a picture to be sure.

how rude, you let the beavers do all that hard work and then you steal their bounty? Shame on you.

LOL.

Will the water freeze any time soon ?

Well, if you don't want to wade in the water you're gong to lose some wood, but that's how it goes. Now's a good time to learn the magic of a wedge. Go get you a couple of them, they'll be about six bucks each. Now, starting at the trunk, begin making your cuts on top and watch what you're doing carefully. As soon as the tree begins to pinch the saw stop and put your wedge in the top and give it a good smack with a 2 pound hammer (or your hatchet) and it will open the kerf back up. Remove the saw and finish with an undercut. Be careful when the log starts to slump, be ready to pull the saw back quickly.

Inch your way down the log toward the water. Keep cutting back branches ahead of yourself and be careful because they WILL snap back on you.

Walk around to the other side of the creek and start working on the small stuff. Make all of your cuts undercuts and the trunk will continue to drop down as you go. Finally it will be as low as its going to go and you'll be up to the banks on both sides, then you gotta decide what you want to do next.

Their all easy to cut up, you just gotta pay attention. Things that are bent will snap back, things that are supported on the ends need to be undercut. The two must useful thing you have going for you when cutting with a chainsaw are wedges and the chain-brake. Make good use of them both and you'll come to appreciate them.

In a pinch (no pun intended) cut about a 24" piece of wood that you can use to drive your wedges. Nice little hammer and you don't have to worry about leaving it in the woods.
If you have a decent saw, cut small on top and run the saw up from the bottom. Make sure you know which way the log is going to kick before doing this. You want to be on the backside of this cut.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.