Need advice for water treatment.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
I am moving and my tank may be shut down for an extended time. Especially if I can not sell my house and end up renting it. Can anyone tell me what to treat the tank with? I am thinking about draining it. That will depend on the status of my home when I move...

What is your tank made from? That might make a big difference.

Assuming that you are shutting down the system and won't be using it, I would think that draining it would be the best bet in general.

An EPDM tank probably wouldn't need much of anything in the way of treatment on an empty tank.

Just guessing, but I'd think a for steel tank your best bet would be to get it as dry as you possibly can, possibly spray the inside with some sort of oil if you can, and then seal it up with a bunch of dessicant crystals inside...

Gooserider

Sparke, where you have a polypropylene liner, I do not think you need to do anything to the water if you leave it filled.
Polypropylene is very inert.
Your PEX HX will be fine also.

Tom

Goose, you are right I will drain it if it is extended time but I hate to do that. Fall is just around the corner ; ) Last year I ran it straight through the summer. This year it will be down for at least 4 months.

Tom, Thanks for the good news!!

If it's a plastic lined tank, I agree, it is pretty much inert, so there isn't a big need to drain it from a harm to the tank standpoint, UNLESS you think there is a risk of it freezing. The other potential issue with an unused tank, is how much "wildlife" might start growing in it, and if so, whether or not the house might start to smell like the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" has moved into the basement...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.